motor won't tilt up

gradywhiteman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just got back from a nice ride tonight and when we were back at the slip ready to leave I hit the trim switch to lift the motor and nothing happened. The trim works in the down position. The controls are original to the engine which is a 1987 Johnson. The trim/tilt switch is located in the shift handle. Is there a way to troubleshoot this?

dan313

Reaction score
This had happen to me. There are two relays on the motor for the tilt and trim. They are black and one of them has gone bad. To find out which one is bad swap them and push the tilt button. They both work in either direction depending on which side of the tilt they are on.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Depending on what year your Johnson is, the two relays are hidden in a plastic compartment on the back of the powerhead.

Remove the motor cover and press the tilt button in the direction that works. Listen for the "click" and you will be able to locate the relays.

gradywhiteman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks guys, the motor is an 87 225 Johnson. So the relays are under the hood, I will check that out tomorrow. Is the relay a readily available part from an omc dealer?

wanderer200

Reaction score
Yes. Your local napa or carquest can also get them. I think Sierra makes them.