Motors for a 268 Islander

Absolute

Reaction score
I am looking at a 1997 model 268 Islander that has just been repowered by a pair of 225 Horsepower Yamaha 4 strokes. Is this too much power for the hull or is this a good pwer option? I would also like some feedback if possible on the 268 in general we do a fair amount of gamefishing and I have never really fished from a boat with outboards.

chrisA.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well,the 1997 Islander was only rated for 400 HP and I can tell you that 350-400hp is fine for that boat,the other thing to consider is that with the weight of the two engines-583lbs each will for sure have your scupper drains under water.Personally if it were me,I wouldn't buy it but I'm sure others will chime in and disagree.To answer your other question about the fishability of the islander,I think its a great boat to fish off of,it has plenty of cockpit space and as far as the outboards go,don't most people land fish from the side of their boats anyway?Again,just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt!,

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
F150s are great on a 268 or 270 Islander.

200HPDI are as good, or better.

F225 exceeds HP rating on the 268, and is a lot of weight for the 270.

Single Suzuki DF300 would be nice...

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree with all of the above, I'm assuming that boat was repowered, 400hp is max rated, and since the boat has a somewhat narrow beam, it already sits on the low side with full fuel, twin 225's are a bit more more HP then you will need, and they exceed the weight that really should be on that hull. Chances are the scuppers and thru hulls will be in the water and probably under it when fully loaded. Also, older islanders were designed for lighter outboards then four strokes, F150's work well because they are still light enough. I agree with osnslr, F150's would be my top choice and twin 200HPDI's would be my second. If you went to a single, a 300Suzuki would match nicely, but I prefer twins, they add safety, give you more power to get on plane if you run heavy and in rough stuff, and they provide great maneuverability that a single cannot. Most owner's of single engine islanders regret not getting twin's, or repower them with twins. I sea trialed a single engine islander and was less then pleased with the power it had. Great boat and awesome layout. The boat is not an issue, but I would think twice about that power option. That much HP may make it tough to get insurance, depending on who you plan to use, or you may have to pay a premium since it is over rated hp, some companies will not insure it, others ignore it, but in reality nobody should insure that boat since it is above owner's spec, IMHO I'd walk away and look for another 268 islander with better power options, find one with F150's and you will be more then pleased with the power, ride and efficiency.

Reactions: KAPTAINBOB

Absolute

Reaction score
The guy selling it says it can take up to 500HP do you know what year this would have changed? Also is there any real wight difference between say a 150 or 175 and a 225 4 stroke?

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
FYI - 1999 they went to 450hp max and 2000 they went to 500hp max rating.... but that does not mean the previous years rating increases.

This was around the time the switched to the marine plywood and maybe that would attribute to this increase.
All information is from Grady's web site.
Tim

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Great info Tim. Even if the transom was reinforced for the extra weight, the thru hulls and other hardware may have been reloacted, when they redesigned the 265 and a few other boats, some scuppers and thru hulls were moved higher. There is a lot more to consider with a repower then just transom weight and height, it effects the whole boat. The boat was not designed for that weight, it could probably handle it on the transom, but the rest of the boat will not correspond with the new waterline. Just because your thru hulls may be SS or chrome over bronze does not mean they won't leak, they are just less problematic then nylon, so having them underwater is still an issue. I'd walk away from any overpowered boat unless major work has been done to accommodate the weight and extra power. In all honesty, unless the changed were done by a Naval Architect who actually does calc to see what is needed and how the boat will perform with these changes, I'd stay way clear of it, some yard are great at tackling these problems, but they can only fix issues, not foresee others with handling and ride that will also accommodate this work. It is tough to repower a boat with heavier 4 strokes on older boats, and understandably many may exceed their weight. If the weight is slightly over, by 50 or so pounds, just make sure the transom and stringers were checked, in perfect shape, or preferably reinforced. As for overpowering, that is not necessary and unsafe. Stick to boats that meet the rated hp and are very close to or under the rated max weight. There are enough engines out there that can meet these requirements, they just may not be the optimal engine the owner wises to have, they may crave more power then that boat can handle weight or hp wise.

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
ocnslr said:
F150s are great on a 268 or 270 Islander.

200HPDI are as good, or better.

F225 exceeds HP rating on the 268, and is a lot of weight for the 270.

Single Suzuki DF300 would be nice...

That's what I'm trying to do. :D

Korona

Reaction score
Absolute,
If that's the boat you want, use the HP "problem" to negotiate for a lower purchase price, buy the boat, sell the F225s and put on whatever motors you want!

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Korona said:
Absolute,
If that's the boat you want, use the HP "problem" to negotiate for a lower purchase price, buy the boat, sell the F225s and put on whatever motors you want!

I'll trade you a set of F225's for 200hp HPDI's!!!!

Gmanoffshore

Reaction score
Take a look at my scuppers in the picture in my sig. The 200 HPDI's are almost too much weight when I am full of fuel and ready to fish. I think the 225 4 Stk is too much weight with the 8.5 beam on the Islander.

Absolute

Reaction score
Gmanoffshore said:
Take a look at my scuppers in the picture in my sig. The 200 HPDI's are almost too much weight when I am full of fuel and ready to fish. I think the 225 4 Stk is too much weight with the 8.5 beam on the Islander.

Thanks for that is your boat a 268 and what year?

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Our scuppers are further out of the water on the 270 with twin F150s. And I have four (4) batteries under the rear seat.

The full-length running surface on the 270 gives it much more bouyancy, and weight carry capacity, at the stern.

In the photo below you can easily see the white between the scuppers and the bottom paint, and you can also see that there is a lot of blue bottom paint above the waterline.

InSlip-Twins.jpg

Brian

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
ocnslr said:
The full-length running surface on the 270 gives it much more bouyancy, and weight carry capacity, at the stern.

The full length running surface started with the 2000 268 Islander.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
BobP said:
Brian, you have the tanks full in photo?

Not sure. Was trying to remember. Certainly not "empty"..

Will go look this evening, as the tanks are full now.