Motors starved for fuel

Capt. B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a pair of 99' Optimax 200's that are experiencing a fuel starvation problem that is yet to be thoroughly diagnosed. Either engine (usually starboard) will become fuel starved (as evidenced by loss of power and a compressed primer bulb) but the problem is immediately relieved by switching fuel tanks. Doesn't matter which tank is selected; it has happened on both motors (but only one at a time), it has happened when both motors are on the same but either tank and it has happened when the motors are on separate tanks. I have replaced the fuel lines from the motors to the primer bulb and then to the Racors and finally to the fuel cut-off/selector switches. The mechanic at Short's Marina is now thinking it could be the fuel pick-ups in the tanks but I indicated the tanks had been thoroughly cleaned just 2 seasons ago. Anyone experience this type of problem and identify the fix?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Get rid of the antisiphon valves, good for nothing troublemakers they are.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
And get new bulbs, and replace fuel lines between bulb and tanks, lines may be parting inside at the plys and collapsing.

If you have selector valves, may want to open them up and inspect or just replace.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
BobP said:

that is not USCG approved, unless you have a fuel shut off valve

recommend something like this is not the smartest thing to do, because that fine is like 100K!!!!

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
if you run an an aux gas tank and motors run like charms, then you know where you plugged in the fuel tanks back is the problem

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
He has two tanks with selector valves ?

Then he has shut off valves as part of 3 way valves.

jethro99

Reaction score
JUST-IN-TIME said:
BobP said:

that is not USCG approved, unless you have a fuel shut off valve

recommend something like this is not the smartest thing to do, because that fine is like 100K!!!!

If the fuel lines do not drop below the top of the tank on the way to the motor then there is no requirement for either an anti-siphon valve or a shut off valve on an inboard powered boat.

The requirement for either an anti-siphon valve or shut off valve does not apply to boats with outboard motors. Coast Guard can have nothing to say about this. It is not a matter of CG approval. It is the law. CG can only help carry out the law as it is written, not as they wish it to be.

richie rich

Reaction score
If you have a collapsed bulb or fuel line anywhere, any time, you have a blockage....it means the pump is drawing negative pressure and something is blocking that draw....so called "cleaned tanks" aren't perfect.....unless you stick your head inside the tank you have no way to know exactly what's left or in the tank....you may have crap in the tank, or the main fuel line, or the tank switch valves or the filter housing for that matter......try a portable fuel tank and line and see what happens...if she runs great, start at the inboard tank and work forward,.....if it still runs like crap, theres a problem at the engine....

Grayarea

Reaction score
Fuel Problem

Capt. I am chasing the same problem 1999 225 optimax. I have confirmed the pick up is clear, removed the anti siphon valve, changed the bulb and lines from the selector valve. I haven't confirmed this on both tanks yet. Check the vent tubes by simple opening the filler caps. Bringing an aux tank with me this weekned to rule out the engine. Keep posting or pm me, we'll figure this out, Its not rocket science.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
Read up on USCG rules, they make them and try to enforce them

the other ones i see all the time is fuel valves over the battery, that is a no-no also

seen some gradys with it, because the owner added fuel valves

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If the bulb is still collapsing, has to be some intermittant floating debris like foam, getting into pickup.

Are you sure the antisiphon valves were removed? Can fool one, it looks like a regular hose nipple, a little longer.

I had same problem on both tank feeds for one motor.