Mounting Bilge Pumps and Float Switches

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
Multiple transom-mount transducers, sensors, etc are often mouted to a plate to avoid unnecessary drilling I am looking for a way to avoid additional screws in the bottom of my bilge when I install an additional pump and switch.

Has anyone tried mounting a starboard (or other suggested material) plate inside the hull to serve as a platform for both aft bilge pumps and both float switches? Is this possible using marine epoxy after thoroughly cleaning the bilge, if so any recommendations on materials?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You are better off mounting to the bottom, Grady just glassed in a piece of 1/2 ply as the pad (on my model). I had to replace mine that rotted - there was no caulk on original screws, but no big deal to replace.

If you drill into a stringer or the inside of the transom, that's a lot of wood to be exposed.

Just have to drill and caulk the holes properly and it will not leak.

If the pump pad is other than wood, and you are in a cold winter climate, I suggest when boat is blocked out for the season, dry out the bilge with a towel, and add 1 quart or 1/2 gall of non-toxic antifreez to bilge, just in case.

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
Since my boat doesnt have the glassed mounting pad, I plan on using the existing pump screw holes w/ 5200 to mount the plate to the hull for 2 pumps and 2 switches. If I plan this properly it should make testing/replacing the pumps and switches a breeze.

Bilge could stand to be cleaned anyways.

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
As it turns out there is a glassed mounting pad that is about the same size as the single pump and switch footprint (tiny). I will still need to extend this mounting surface to accomodate the additional pump.......Next week.

den3221

Reaction score
Hi, I have an 89 Overnighter and I was considering adding a Second Bilge Pump. My first one still works, but installed by previous owner and not sure how old it is?

Any suggestions? I haven't gotten down in the bilge yet to see what kind of space I have but I know it will likely be tight quarters.

Should I just run another dedicated line for the Second Pump and thru hull above water line on the Port Side? I would think piggybacking to the first hose would negate the purpose of having 2 pumps.

Same question for wiring - run separate wires up to the switch and put Pump #2 on its own switch?

Thanks, Dennis

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
There are only a few things to keep in mind for the 2nd bilge pump.....
-You will definitely want a completely independent system so an additional thru-hull is necessary should you require the pumping capacity of both pumps simultaneously
-Manual/Auto switched wiring should be run to the helm area separate from the original pump because often the old wiring is your pumps source of failure. Rule and WM make a small single rocker switch for this purpose $30
-Your additional float switch will need to be run directly to a power source that cannot be switched off (precautionary measure)

You are correct; the space will be a little tight so just take your time. It always pays to do it right the first time.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.