Mounting Canister Life Raft on Older Grady T-top

IFish4Tuna

Reaction score
Hi - wondering if anyone has mounted a SOLAS A or B canister life raft on their Aluminum Tube - T Top. My dealer recommends not doing it, but wonder if anyone has. Perhaps with building more support. Weight of these is between 130 & 160 lbs. If yes, any pictures, or any problems with use?

My Grady is 1999 with tubing and sunbrella material.

Thanks in advance.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That seems like a lot of weight for a life raft. How many people is that rated for? I have a 6 person valise raft that weighs about 70lbs. Also make sure you will be able to deploy from the top in rough seas, and don’t count on automatic deployment. Because of the positive floatation of small boats they raft may not deploy even if you capsize.

Reactions: JJMag

IFish4Tuna

Reaction score
Noted on the capsizing. Correction on weights.

131 lbs. for the 6 person Solas B Low Profile Container
96 lbs. for the 4 Person Solas B Low Profile container

Boat is 30' Bimini 306

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I'd think it would be fine. I've talked to a few surveyors who feel the support "cage" and hard top are very well made. Try to use a broad backing plate for pressure distribution. Other than possibly being unsightly I see no structural reason it wouldn't work.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I’m the plastic GW did not recommend installing them on a stock hardtop as the frame wasn’t designed to hold the weight. I’d check with cust service.