Mounting Deck Spreader Lights

gradyrod

Reaction score
I want to mount spreader lights to my T-top large diameter tube, either one in the center or two --one on each side -- facing aft. Anyone have a suggestion as to how to mount them other than welding on a tab and fastening to that tab. I want to avoid welding and need to mount directly to the aluminum tube.

Also, what is best way to get wires through the tubes and down to the fuse panel? I figured an electician's snake might be the way to go. Also, what size hole should I drill to snake the wire through the tubes?

Thanks all !!

Rodd
1985 Fisherman 204
1998 Johnson 175

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yup, electrician's snake would work best to run the wires, that is how we ran the wires for my additonal 3 spreader lights. some manufacturer's make a mount that clamps onto a rail, I believe Perko has one, but there are others also, this will prevent the need to weld.
Also, Lunar"Polaris" lights are LED spreader lights, they come on a ball joint and can be mounted to almost anything. BOE Marine has them at an intro price of $79 bucks. They are LED's and draw 1 amp per light, as opposed to 4.6 for a 55watt halogen. If you run a Halogen off your batteries with the engines off, you have maybe 1 hour of battery before your a sitting duck. The LED's will keep your bank from drawing too low and give you a lot more time, and since ti draws less the alternator will charge it quicker. The lights will be out in March. Vision X also makes a good spreader LED light, the XIL-40($150). I am putting 3 XIL-80's and 2 XIL-40's on my boat to replace my 5 55watt halogens. I'm waiting for their sales rep to give me a quote since I'm buying a bunch. An alternative if you fish at night would be LED rope lighting under the gunnels to light the cockpit for fishing.
Just don;t want you to think you can run them to fish under all night, I've seen too many guys do this and get stranded on the water with dead batteries.

jimfish

Reaction score
fishing wires..

I used my vacuum to pull a leader string thru the tube from my access hole. I put a small button on the leader string. Worked well!!

gradyrod

Reaction score
pulling wires

Thanks guys! I will try out that vacuum idea--sounds like fun! I guess you use very light thread like sewing thread witha small button attached to be swept up by the vac. should work!

Another question: What size wire did you run for the 5 amp draw spreader light(s)? Did you run 2 individual wires, or a duplex wire in a sheathe? What size hole did you have to drill in the tube and how did you seal it?

Boats Rock

Reaction score
14 gauge 2 wire min unless your tower is grounded. One is a ground the other B+. Hole size is determined by the rubber or plastic grommet you use to prevent wire chaffing.

gradyrod

Reaction score
Grounding question

Thanks Boatsrock. You bring up the question of grounding the tower. Is this something that is recommended--does it help with lightning? or does a grounded tower help to further attract a strike?? Does it cause any corrosion of the Aluminum?

Where do you purchase the rubber grommets you talked about?

Boats Rock

Reaction score
Grommets can be purchased at any NAPA auto parts store. The problem with grounding the tower is if there is a back feed from a electric component it will interfere with the radios. I am not sure if lightning is attracted to a grounded or ungrounded tower.
My tower is ungrounded I rewired my lights with paired 2 wire from NAPA and made sure the main ground was clean and tight.
I used to get low voltage error reports from my electronics when I first got the boat. But after replacing corroded wiring and cleaning terminals problem solved. I found all these problems by doing a voltage drop test from the tower to the batteries.