mounting downriggers to 204-c

roughrider123

Reaction score
Gonna be bringing a new baby to me home next week. The 1990 overnighter has a closed inside gunnel area and I wondered how you would access this area for applying back plates, cut access holes or mount a rail system some how. Will not try using the rod holders as mounts because of 15# ball weights causing too much stress.Thanks for any help.

Roughrider out

yankeecause

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Roughrider, I don't personally use the "trans-trac" mounting system but I see a lot of them on the salmon fishing boats by me. They look like a nice clean set up. They look like you could get enough screws in them for a solid mount. I was able to get a backing plate under my riggers. But the top of your gunnels should be 3/4" plywood. You could pull one of the rod holders out to verify that. I don't like the idea of putting the weight of a downrigger in a gunnel rod holder either. Joe.

Clockwork

Reaction score
if you are mounting them towards tha back you can access it by the compartments over the batteries. mine were mounted there but i moved them forward as i hate rear mounted ones. what i did was form a [ shaped bracket out of 3/16" aluminum plate. drill and tap the plate (and fiberglass) to the sides of the gunnel and then drill and tap throught the bracket and top gunnel for where the DR mounts on. if done properly, tapping fiberglass is very strong. ill try to get pics.

Clockwork

Reaction score

Attachments

• pond & Fish 003.JPG
    pond & Fish 003.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 1,312
  • pond & Fish 004.JPG
    pond & Fish 004.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 1,312
  • pond & Fish 008.JPG
    pond & Fish 008.JPG
    174.9 KB · Views: 1,312