Mounting kicker to 228 seafarer with swimplatform

Sba

Reaction score
Any 228 Grady owners with a full swimplatform mounted a kicker to their boat . I run in the great lakes and need to get down to 1.6-1.8 , Going to use bags this year but would like to explore other option. Would really appreciate anyone that has put a kicker on a boat like mine , the pros and cons, bracket , suppers etc . I have a friend who mounted a kicker to his 232 Gulfstream. He mounted the kicker directly to the platform, this caused the platform to separate from the transom, he had to have a bracket fabricated, with a brace under platform,also would like to have any ideas how and where to mount another gps/sonar unit I have a Furuno 1850 inside glove box , but no room to mount a hds9- or 12 on the dash, Steve . Sbandrasik@aol.com 859-445-4646

Pete

Reaction score
Hi, I mounted a yamaha t8 to the starboard side of my platform as my ladder is on the port side. I used a salt boss marine platform bracket, made here in seattle. I back plated it with 1/4 stainless steel flat bar, aluminum also works. For strength i put on a swim step bracket right under the mount. I thru bolted the top and used SS lags on the bottom as you can't thru bolt the bottom. I also added one or two lags to the swim platform where it attaches to the transom, everything else is thru bolted, and used 5200 on everything. Another thing i did was add white starboard where the swim platform mounts to the transom and notched it out on the top where it fits over the platform lip. The whole set up is super strong with zero flex, in any sea it just doesn't move. I would be happy to post pictures if you like.

Cheers Kevin

GulfSea

Reaction score
Pete said:
Hi, I mounted a yamaha t8 to the starboard side of my platform as my ladder is on the port side. I used a salt boss marine platform bracket, made here in seattle. I back plated it with 1/4 stainless steel flat bar, aluminum also works. For strength i put on a swim step bracket right under the mount. I thru bolted the top and used SS lags on the bottom as you can't thru bolt the bottom. I also added one or two lags to the swim platform where it attaches to the transom, everything else is thru bolted, and used 5200 on everything. Another thing i did was add white starboard where the swim platform mounts to the transom and notched it out on the top where it fits over the platform lip. The whole set up is super strong with zero flex, in any sea it just doesn't move. I would be happy to post pictures if you like.

Cheers Kevin

Post pics if you can. I'll be doing this eventually and have seen a couple ideas. Your's sounds like a great install.

Sba

Reaction score
Thank you gentleman for the help, Salt Boss must have gone out of business, tried e-mail, calling but was unsuccessful.they are out of Seattle, but still have their web site up. They really made a great bracket, matched color, fit perfect good reviews. Maybe I can find a used one if someone want to do away with their kicker.Going to try Adventure, I was told they make a bracket. There has got to be a company out their that fabricates this item. As far as mounting gps/sonar I will remove the plastic box and hinges and replace with starboard, this will give me enough room for both my 1850 Furuno and another 9inch unit.

Pete

Reaction score
They are still in business, It is a one man show and Brook the owner is sometimes hard to get ahold of, I would keep trying. I think He got a few dealers so he is pretty busy.

Pete

Pete

Reaction score
Here is a pic of the support etc.

Attachments

• 1409665565963.jpg
    1409665565963.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 4,135

Pete

Reaction score
I used a panther steering bar in front of the engines to control the steering (not pictured) I also installed a troll master to control the speed from the helm.

Attachments

• GetAttachment.aspx.jpeg
    GetAttachment.aspx.jpeg
    9.6 KB · Views: 4,122

GulfSea

Reaction score
Pete, thanks for the information. Do you have a closer picture detailing the bracket on top of the swim platform? Also what's the top speed with the T8?

Sba

Reaction score
Thanks Pete, I will continue to try Brook at Salt Boss, I even thought of calling a Grady dealer in Seattle to see if they knew how to get in touch with him , the pic are just what I need, especially under the transom for support, could not tell what the top looked like , I guess the bracket fits right over the top and slides between the swimplatform and bolt from the top ,but thanks for your help. Steve

Pete

Reaction score
The top speed with the kicker is 6 mph, thats with the main in the down position.