Mounting new electronics on a 95 Seafarer

Jerseyboy1946

Reaction score
I am upgrading my electronics and will be using Garmin's GPS and Fishfinders with 5 inch screens. I bought my 95 seaferer used and the previous owner had mounted a GPS and Fishfinder on top of the dash over the electronic box. Not crazy about the location but not sure where to mount the new electronics. The electronic box presently has a VHF insde it.
The seafarer has a soft top so no additional mounting space on top. Any sugestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

catch22

Reaction score
If it were me, I would move the vhf into the cabin, (overhead), and mount the Garmins in the electronics box. There should be a small plastic box, on the port side, inside the cabin. This can provide power for the vhf. You can mount the mic clip on the shelf unit, (if you have one). You can also mount a second mic clip on the cabin door, so you can get at easier. Also, if your vhf has a second speaker/mic option, (ram) you could mount that one outside, near the helm.

Jerseyboy1946

Reaction score
Thanks

Sounds like a good idea - I will measure the electronics box to see if the units will fit.
Thanks

catch22

Reaction score
5" Garmins should fit. If not, you could make a panel out of 1/4" or 3/8" poly and flush mount them. I don't think I'd go thicker than 3/8". You could keep the panel hinged, as well as the lock (just like it is now) which makes it easy to get inside for wiring and even limited storage.

Here's another suggestion for the vhf. You can fab a "radio box", (see pics below). I mounted the one shown to the bulkhead over the storage shelf. Made it out of 5/8" closed cell poly. The stuff they use for house trim, not "Starboard". The face is 3/4"stained and varnished pine. Especially nice if you want to add a stereo, like I did.

Finished unit.
radio_box_copybox-finished_004.jpg

Mounted, but the wiring wasn't done yet.
radio_box_mounted_copy.jpg

You can't see it, but the plastic electrical box I mentioned, (factory) is burried behind the radio box.

Jerseyboy1946

Reaction score
Electronics in a seafarer 226

Catch22,
I cannot find the small electric box on the port side you are talking about. I have a 95 226 seafarer, all my electric power seem to originate from the starboard side under the helm.

I like the idea about the VHF mount ovet the port shelf but I don't see any electrical source.

Any help would be apreciated

Thanks

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have a 7" Lowrance so the Garmin should fit no problem. I also recommend putting the GPS in the electronics box. There should be ample room to mount the GPS and VHF side-by-side in the box. It will also be easier to connect wires between the two if you are going to set up the DSC in the VHF. Good luck!

Jerseyboy1946

Reaction score
Electronics in a seafarer 226

I have two separate units - a Garmin 400c 4 inch Fishfinder and a Garmin
440 4 inch Chartplotter. Went for 2 separate units - did not want to use a one unit split screen. I play in Southwest Florida from Boca Grande to Ten Thousand Islands area - many times I use GPS and actual depth at the same time rather than charts for navigation. Keeps me off the always moving sand bars a long way from home.

I want to mount both Garmins in the electronics box but not sure where to mount the VHF. Catch22's VHF setup seems the best - accessable but out of the way and sheltered.

Just can't seem to find the electric box he is refering to.

catch22

Reaction score
Jerseyboy,

The box I mentioned was called a "junction box". It was a black plastic box about 2 1/2" x 5". I searched, (unsuccessfully) on here, because a while back, someone included a picture of one in their post. I also went through some owner's manual's on Grady's website and unfortunately, (according to their elecrical diagrams) it looks like they stopped using them after 1992. That was the model year I did the install on, (92).

I guess your only option now is to run a pair of + and - wires to that side. You might want to consider using a small fuse panel too.

Sorry for the misinformation.

Catch22

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Jerseyboy: I used a Standard Horizon Phantom PS2000 'black box' radio. You can mount the radio anywhere since all the controls are on the mic. There are other manufactuers of black box radios.

I have an 8.4" Garmin in my electronics box and I mounted the radio mic off to one side on the roof of the elctronics box.

You could also mount a full-featured vhf in the cabin and just mount a 'second sation' mic in the elctronics box.

I'll attempt to add a photo. In the picture, you can't see the mic because it is laying down behind my 'dry storage' tupperware. But you can see the cord to the mic. Click the photo to enlarge.

catch22

Reaction score
wahoo33417 said:
Jerseyboy: I used a Standard Horizon Phantom PS2000 'black box' radio. You can mount the radio anywhere since all the controls are on the mic. There are other manufactuers of black box radios.

I have an 8.4" Garmin in my electronics box and I mounted the radio mic off to one side on the roof of the elctronics box.

You could also mount a full-featured vhf in the cabin and just mount a 'second sation' mic in the elctronics box.

I'll attempt to add a photo. In the picture, you can't see the mic because it is laying down behind my 'dry storage' tupperware. But you can see the cord to the mic. Click the photo to enlarge.

That's exactly what I was going to recomend, (a PS 1000 or 2000). Unfortuantely, they're discontinued, and I can't seem to find any in-stock anywhere. I had the PS 1000... imo, it was great. As you said, all you use is the mic. The black box can be burried just about anywhere, (out of site).

There are other brands of black box vhf's, but they seem very expensive. The PS 1000 was only around $150... very reasonable, (had dsc too). I don't know why they discontinued them, except to force you to buy a regular vhf and a second station mic, (and make more bucks :evil: ).

Jerseyboy1946

Reaction score
I think I will try ebay for the Standard Horizon radio. Let you know how I make out