Mounting Trolling Motor on a 255

Bailiwick255

Reaction score
Good evening everyone.

I'm planning to mount an 84" Rhodan on my Grady 255. I've laid out some of my general rigging thoughts below. Any thoughts/ideas are welcome, especially if someone has a 235/255/275 that they've rigged with a trolling motor.

1. It looks like this boat is prewired with 6 gauge for a windlass. So, hopefully, that cuts down on running wires.

2. I looking at one 36V lithium battery, with a kit to charge off one of the outboards. Each one of the Yamaha alternators put out 50 amps. I figure if I'm running the engines for 3-5 hours each trip, the battery should receive plenty of charge.

3. The storage area in front of the dash seems like the logical location to place the battery.

4. My big open item is the trolling motor mount. I've seen discussions of the shuttle slide. I've also seen some people with custom swivels. Does anybody know who makes the swivel mount for the Grady 251 coastal? Or does anybody have other recommendations for the mount?

Yesterday, I laid out a 1x2" that's 96" long (about the same overall length as the Rhodan) to figure orientation of the motor. It appears it can be mounted and not interfere with the anchor locker / cleat / running lights, etc.

Bailiwick255

Reaction score
Bump - and another question - has anyone run a stealth charge / power pole charge with a Yamaha F200? I have twin F200s, each on a separate battery. Will the 50 amp alternator, on the engine that's only powering one of the engines, charge a 36V battery sufficiently?

rockpool

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
I was surprised to read that a long-shaft trolling motor would do anything useful on a 7000lb boat - who'd have thought!

wadeatl

Reaction score
Bump - and another question - has anyone run a stealth charge / power pole charge with a Yamaha F200? I have twin F200s, each on a separate battery. Will the 50 amp alternator, on the engine that's only powering one of the engines, charge a 36V battery sufficiently?
I have Stealth1 charger on my 275 with Twin E-Tec G2 200HO's. Only one of them is in circuit with the 36V batteries while charging my starter battery. Between the offshore round trips I have not had to top off with shore power. I typically run at least an hour each way and several smaller runs in between though out a typical 8-9 hour fishing day.

So in the end it will depend how long you are drawing juice versus re-juicing .

Give them a call and I believe you will still end up talking to the owner/inventor. He will be able to answer any question that you would have.

Toll free: 1-888-588-4506

Bailiwick255

Reaction score
wadeatl - how did you mount your motor? Did you use a plate, swivel, other type of mount, or just mount it to overhang the rub rail?

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I was surprised to read that a long-shaft trolling motor would do anything useful on a 7000lb boat - who'd have thought!
My friends brother is a guide and just did the 96" Rhodan on his big Yellowfin.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It is so weird to see how much they flex when working. I passed up a boat coming in from offshore one day this season and thought that the trolling motor was going to break, but then it just flexed back and forth in the waves and current. I guess you don't see that if onboard the boat, but someone looking at your boat from a distance will see how it is working.
I want one but will need to be a 96" model!