Mounting Under Gunwale Speakers

MixinItUp

Reaction score
Guys,

I bought a pair of PolyPlanar MA 9020 Gunwale box speakers for the cockpit of my 2001 228.

The mounting screws that come with this thing are like 2 inches long. I haven't had time to get over to the boat to look up under the gunwale, but I am concerned about boring a 2 inch screw "up" into the gunwale cap. Anybody have experience mounting things under the gunwale of Seafarers? What kind of material will I be screwing into? How much thickness exists between the surface I see from under the gunwale and the topside of the gunwale?

Thanks for the help,
Padgett
MixinItUp
Savannah, GA

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The thickness of the 228 gunnel is about 1 inch. Most of this is plywood that is sandwiched between fiberglass with some gelcoat on top.

Am I correct in assuming that you'll be mounting these with the four screws into the top of the gunnel with the speakers facing down? This should keep them protected from the elements but not sure what that'll do to the sound. I have box speakers mounted next to my spreader lights facing the stern. This setup works pretty well with the most challenging part of installation being fishing the speaker wire through the tubing on the hardtop. This took quite some time but I am really pleased with the install.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My setup was similar to Strikezone's...however, I used a small piece of split loom and fastened it between the top tubing and the hardtop...you would have had to look really hard to see it. I ran it around to the starboard side, then drilled a hole in the side of the e-box, put a round wiring cover on it, and brought the wire inside that way....

S3500409-copy.jpg

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Parthery, sounds like you took the easiest approach with the same results. I had a fish tape in the tubes which worked OK until I got to the spreader lights and had to get around the corner and out the hole. All the while I had to be careful not to damage the existing wire.

The location of the speakers works great for folks in the cockpit but I had to add a couple of Poly Planar compact box speakers in the helm to hear the radio when under way.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Better not use those screws, otherwise avoid sitting on gunnel!

Wood is probably 3/4 ply, 1/2 - 5/8 inch penetration is plenty. Measure off and tape the drill bit as a guide.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I left enough slack in the wires to swivel the speakers forward...if I was cruising any distance and wanted to be able to hear, that's exactly what I would do. It worked better with the curtains down though, otherwise the wind noise was louder.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
We installed polyplanar box speakers in the corners in the cockpit on the cabin wall and added speakers to the cabin itself. My kids are ages 8 to 13 and the cabin is used alot. I thought about mounting them where the spreader lights are like Strike did, but opted for the less harsh environment inside the cockpit. At cruising speed I loose some sound, but when trolling or playing at the lake it works well.

We considred the gunwale mounted ones, but thought the bigger box speakers would give a bit better sound quality. I would not use the 2 inch screws and go get some 3/4" stainless # 8 or #10s should do the job well. You gotta remember to compensate for the thickness of the mounting holes of the speaker housing too.

Capt Khaos

Reaction score
6x9 Speakers

I mounted Infinity 6x9" speakers under the gunnels of my 228. First I measured the width between the inner (cockpit side of the gunnel) and the hull (actually a liner)...I think it's about 7 or 8 ". Then I cut a piece of starboard that width and long enough to accommodate a 6x9" speaker hole. I cut the speaker hole with a scroll saw, mounted the speaker in the starboard, and then fit the whole thing up flush with lower edge of the inner gunnel. 3 screws in from the cockpit side with finish washers...it looks fine. You need to mark the hull side then attach a small cleat (say 1"x1" and the length of the starboard speaker mount ) to the hull liner. Use 2 or 3 screws up from the bottom into the cleat and voila...invisible, out of the weather, and they sound great as the whole space under the gunnel acts as a sound box. BTW, I mounted mine in between the rod holders and I have 3 rod holders on each side. They fit just right.
Cheers,
Dan

Bust it Big

Reaction score
I installed the same polyplaner under the gunnels. I went with a fat 3/4" screw.. the mount on speaker is roughly 1/4" so you don't have to worry about screwing thru topside and mounting job has lasted longer than the speakers. IMHO, I would mount the gunnels and in the similar locations noted by other posters, that way everyone is happy while under way....and while you are at, might as well install a Subwoofer in lower cabin wall in front of helm pasenger seat. Now all you have to do is figure out how to get anough power to run it w/o bringing in a bunch of interference noise 8) ..
Feel free to message me for more helpful tips. I was able to take the loads of advice on this site, as well as, my experience with auto stereos and now bounce a cross the water when running full!