Moving anchor on a 282 Sailfish

SouthFork

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I am looking to add a Rhodan to my ‘01 282 Sailfish and was thinking of mounting it on the end of the pulpit. This means I’ve got to move the anchor and roller to come out of the bottom of the pulpit the way the ‘05 and up 282’s are. I have found the roller for the middle of the pulpit that I’ll have to cut a slot out to fit it. Has anyone done this before?

Timbo

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I am looking to add a Rhodan to my ‘01 282 Sailfish and was thinking of mounting it on the end of the pulpit. This means I’ve got to move the anchor and roller to come out of the bottom of the pulpit the way the ‘05 and up 282’s are. I have found the roller for the middle of the pulpit that I’ll have to cut a slot out to fit it. Has anyone done this before?
I’ve never done that but I’m very interested as you are.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If you're just asking about cutting a hole in the pulpit, which it sounds like you are... pretty basic and straight forward. Cut the hole, reinforce if needed inside the cavity (I'm assuming the pupit is cored otherwise you probably wouldnt be asking about this), seal it up with epoxy, go fishing. There's little things like using a drill bit at each corner of the hole to prevent spider cracking of the gelcoat, but if you're up to the task of doing this yourself, you probably already have decent woodworking skills so those kind of things you would already know.

But... will you still have room to mount the trolling motor? I would think that there is very little real estate left forward of the hole. I also imagine it won't lay completely flat because of the windlass, so account for that with a strap/modified rest.

Have you thought about just building a simple angle adapter plate to mount the trolling motor slightly off center?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That's much fancier than I was thinking! I was thinking of a wedge/adapater between the angle of the deck and the trolling motor mount. A couple pieces of PVC board glued together and then properly shaped should do it. But what that guy did is pretty nice!

pedros_boat_nautica_menorca_sea_ray_spx_190_OB_fueraborda.jpg

SouthFork

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I think Dennis has the right idea. Here is a link to an install using Dennis's idea. This guy went first cabin and I'm sure you can get some good ideas for your project from the pictures and description.
https://www.classicparker.com/threa...-minn-kota-trolling-motor-installation.20377/
That is a great idea! I had not seen that yet but it looks pretty simple to do and the bow rail stays in one piece. Original plan was to make the “U” shaped end removable since the trolling motor is only going to be on the boat when I’m going bottom fishing but that bracket keeps it out of the way so there is no trip hazard when we are not fishing. Going to take a bit of time to do since I have a list of stuff to get done at the house but I’ll post pics. Thanks again guys

Last edited: