Moving from Gulfstream to Marlin - any advice?

lgusto

Reaction score
All,

We love our Gulfstream but have been considering a move up to a new (or newish) Marlin. Is there anyone out there that has made this specific move? If so, was the Marlin all that you were hoping for in comparison to the Gulfstream?

We're looking primarily to extend our days fishing when the seas are marginal for the Gulfstream. Is the Marlin's ride into head seas much better, or only marginally so?

Any other significant surprises or disappointments after making the move?

Thanks,

Larry

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Increase your fuel credit card limit to double it is now.

232 GULF

Reaction score
We were wondering this exact thing.....Any input would be appreciated here too.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The Marlin is awesome! I can't speak for the ride difference from a 232 but I can tell you that there is quite a difference moving up from a 272.
Them 300 is a much heavier and large boat. The cockpit is huge for a 30' boat. She fishes great.

Sunday I rode dead into 3'-4' headsea swell left over from a SE blow the previous day. Putting down the tabs I was able to make 22-23 kts in comfort while tossing some spray on occaison. The fishing was even more comfortable due to the wide beam and weight. Coming in I ran with the same seas and was doing a comfortable 27-28 kts. We slowed down around 5m off the hill due to the sea breeze chop.

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
megabytes said:
The Marlin is awesome! I can't speak for the ride difference from a 232 but I can tell you that there is quite a difference moving up from a 272.
Them 300 is a much heavier and large boat. The cockpit is huge for a 30' boat. She fishes great.

Sunday I rode dead into 3'-4' headsea swell left over from a SE blow the previous day. Putting down the tabs I was able to make 22-23 kts in comfort while tossing some spray on occaison. The fishing was even more comfortable due to the wide beam and weight. Coming in I ran with the same seas and was doing a comfortable 27-28 kts. We slowed down around 5m off the hill due to the sea breeze chop.

Mega, you got the 225's pr 250's?

BTW: In regards to Mega's comments on the cockpit size. I was rafted up to a 38' Hatteras convertable this weekend. He is obviously beamier, but our cockpits are the exact same length in size. The Marlins fish fighting cockpit is incredible, for a 30' ride.

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
megabytes said:
F225s. The 250s were not out in 2004.
The 300 would be sweet with a pair of those new 300s.

Could our Marlins handle the weight of the new 300? I understand it is lighter, but it is it light enough?

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Nevermind, here is the answer:

f225: 593lbs
f250: 602lbs

New f300: 558lbs

That is just plain crazy. Lose 35lbs, gain 75hp

edit: They used a Grady Advance for the performance comparisons.

232 GULF

Reaction score
Crazy is right.....I can't wait for a full test on a pair of these on a 30' Grady. Sure hope they're as good as they're supposed to be.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Capt Armchair said:
Nevermind, here is the answer:

f225: 593lbs
f250: 602lbs

New f300: 558lbs

That is just plain crazy. Lose 35lbs, gain 75hp

edit: They used a Grady Advance for the performance comparisons.

Yep. Megabytes 3 will have them. Probably 3-4 years out.

Grady678

Reaction score
lgusto said:
All,

We love our Gulfstream but have been considering a move up to a new (or newish) Marlin. Is there anyone out there that has made this specific move? If so, was the Marlin all that you were hoping for in comparison to the Gulfstream?

We're looking primarily to extend our days fishing when the seas are marginal for the Gulfstream. Is the Marlin's ride into head seas much better, or only marginally so?

Any other significant surprises or disappointments after making the move?

Thanks,

Larry

Yes. I have made this specific move 5 months ago. Went from 2003 Gulfstream to a 150 hour 2002 Marlin (hard to believe but true). Primary reason was cabin space for liveaboard weekends and overnight offshore. 4' or less seas I average almost double knots than the Gulfstream. Far too many details to go into.....PM me and I'll send you my cell. Glad to help and Sea Trial the Marlin at your convenience in Hilton Head!

Finest Kind

Reaction score
"The Marlins fish fighting cockpit is incredible, for a 30' ride.[/quote]

That's what I love about my Trophy Pro.
HUGE cockpit for a 25 footer.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Moving up to a Marlin

I moved up from a 272 to the Marlin. I have twin 250 4 strokes and absolutely love it. So does the Admiral. Good move in my book. By the by, my 272 had twin 2 stroke 200's and I get the same fuel economy that I did then now with the 4 stroke 250s. Plenty of power and it goes a hell of a lot faster than I want a Seafarer before the Sailfish, good boat but no comparison to the Marlin.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Finest Kind said:
"The Marlins fish fighting cockpit is incredible, for a 30' ride.

That's what I love about my Trophy Pro.
HUGE cockpit for a 25 footer.[/quote]
Tell me about your ETecs. I've been reading a lot about them and they sound like wonderful motors. With 300 hr service intervals, what a great motor for the Great Loop or any extended cruise where getting service every 100 hrs may be a problem. The weight factor is also great.

Fishtales

Reaction score
We moved from a 282 to the 300 and as Mega states, it was a big move for a couple of feet. It really felt like a larger boat. I have been on a 232 but never owned one. You won't be dissapointed.

Gary M

Reaction score
We moved to a 2001 30 Marlin from a 1994 252 Sailfish and LOVE it! We spent 18 nights sleeping aboard in the Bahamas last summer and were sorry that it was time to go home!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have a Gulfstream.
Reading this is hazardous to my financial well-being....