moving up

toybox1

Reaction score
Thinking of moving up from my 2003 258 w/ 150s to a 283 or 306 .would like to hear feed back on these models. Very rarely tow any where but needs to be considered. 306 needs special permit wide load.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Do you plan to fish the new boat or are you a weekend cruiser? Makes a big difference in what boat you should be looking at. For example: the 305 Express is a good overnight cruising boat, but for fishing I would recommend a marlin 300. So...what is your planned type of boating?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
gOtagrip;
Sounds like he's a CC guy; both his choices don't have cabins.

Indeed both need permits to tow. Guestimate would be over 10,000 lbs. total towable weight for both boats by the time you have fuel & gear aboard. Maybe 11-plus. Diesel would be my power of choice to move them around and both would need tri-axle trailers.

Toybox, you are fortunate that you can avoid towing for the most part. Your target boats, while certainly towable, would be a pain to horse around on a regular basis.
I have no direct input on the boats themselves, but both are proven offshore hulls that will be a big upgrade from your Journey 258. Just be prepared to enter the world of less than 2 MPG.

toybox1

Reaction score
To be honest my twin 150 HPDI see less than 2 gmp now. I can keep the boat on the lift ist rated for 12k . Just must be getting old because it seems there are less and less days the forcast allowes me to run to the blue and I hope this will allow me a larger window in the way of sea conditions. The 258 can take it just seems I cant handel it any more .Can I expect the 283 to be a BIG advantage in ride over the 258 ? thats what I am really looking for not to get beat up as bad. I am not talking about running in big seas. You guys on the east coast mid atlantic know what I mean 5 to 10 in the AM and 10 to 15 by late morning makes for about 3 to 4 ft out 20 or 30 miles out swells with a bit on top of that .Getting away from the walkaround at this point no more need. fishing on the coast and hanging out at the sand bars

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
When I said 10,000 towable weight, I meant including the trailer. I just looked at the weight of the 283 on the Grady site and it stated just under 5900 lbs. Add fuel, engines, gear, anchors, etc. it'll go up fast, but your 12K lift should be fine.

A BIG difference in ride? Probably. Someone with real experience aboard a 283 should jump in here 'cause I can't say for sure, but logic dictates a big improvement. I went from a Seafarer to a Gulfstream and noticed a noticeable improvement in ride, and that was going up just 1 ft. I have to say the 9' 3" beam of the Gulfstream helped, as it will for you when you go up to the 283 from the Journey.

toybox1

Reaction score
I love both boats but I was at a show this past weekend and the 28 just did not feel to me to be much bigger than my 258. I know she is longer and wider ,I guess on the water is where I would feel the differance. The 306 is just a BIG jump .

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
iI had a 306 and I was very happy with the boat. Selling the boat was a big mistake. She would go where my 330 or 336 go with no problems what so ever. From 25 to 30 is NOT a big jump, go for the 306. Mine was a 2006 with F250's and i was getting 1.3 to 1.5 at cruise of 28 to 32 mph.

toybox1

Reaction score
that makes me feel better ,looks like the one I had my eyes on is now more than the original price they posted it at . back to searching now.