MRD E-Zorb

LI Grady

Reaction score
Just looking for a few opinions here. You guys have always been right on the money in the past.

I have an '89 Marlin that was in storage for a few years when I bought it. I pumped out the old fuel, added new fuel and had it professionally polished. I then filled both 150g tanks on the boat.

The aft or aux tank was plugged and not feeding the motors, so since the season was almost over I just ran both motors off of the one tank.

my mechanic took care of the plugged feed on the aft tank and pumped out over 20g of water. Tanks are tight (including over the sending units) as are the o rings on the fill. It was (and still is) fresh water so we don't think its the vents. Pretty confident that I took on the water at the gas dock last fall (who is now replacing his tanks)

I had been running one motor on that tank, but its frustrating to constantly have the motor die and then go through the drain & prime routine.

No problems when I run both on the main tank.

My mechanic is against using water-zord (or E-Zorb as it is now known) due to concerns about the alcohol (?) affecting the motor.

I've still got about 3/4 of a tank to go through and while I can live without the extra fuel for now, offshore season is not that far away.

Anyone have any problems with this (or similar) products? Any other thoughts or tips?

Thanks again

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
E-Zorb isn't Alcohol. It does disperse the water when it's adgetated when the fuel sits it will drop out and collect on the bottom. With the quantity of water in your tank, E-Zorb will be useless. It's going to be a long tedious process doing the run the motor then dump the water but it'll get it out eventually.

How did they polish the fuel in the rear tank with the feed line clogged? I was going to have my aux tank polished but couldn't find anyone who polishes gas so I drained it.

LI Grady

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I have been using both Startron and ringfree. I don't beleive either does anything regarding the water that got pumped in. Its not (at least I don't think it is) being caused by phase seperation. It came in as water.

I do have the 10 micron Racors and I do beleive they are saving me a lot of aggrevation and repair bills. No question about it.

I used "Fuel Solutions" (631-513-2075) last year. I was and am happy with them. The issue I had was the old fuel had MBTE (or whatever) and it settled out and congeled. They polish the fuel by pumping from the sending unit and back in through the deck fill, so whatever gel was in the pickup tubes never got touched. I can't blame them for that.

THe mechanic doesn't think there is much water left, but the run, stall, drain and prime is making me insane!

On a happy note, any of you guys get in on the flounder bite this weekend in west channel?

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Fuel Additives

I had 1/2 tank fuel in my boat from October of last year and it stayed like that most of the winter. About a month ago, I topped it off, adding Ringfree, Startron, AND Marine Formula Sta-bil. This weekend, I fired her up and drove all over the Chesapeake in search of rockfish. Not one single mis-fire, sputter, hesitation, or bad gas odors. I'm not messing with success next year.

Bill_N

Reaction score
I had quite a bit of separated fuel in my Edgewater a few years ago. Startron did nothing to help this issue. I finally ended up removing the sending unit cover and pumping the fuel out into containers with a hand pump. Major pain in the butt however the separated fuel settles in the bottom corners of the tank and you probably won't pull it out thru the fill hose until the boat starts bouncing around. I got close to a half gallon of gel and water out of my 93 gal tank and put some Ezorb in to see if it would help clear up the issue. It did seem to help as I kept draining the Racor over the summer and finally got the problem resolved.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If there is too much water, additives are useless, as a matter of fact, MDR says you have to add equal parts EZORB to equal parts water to do anything.

Better off pumping it into containers or having it polished.

If the bow is up a bit as my boat is winterblocked in te driveway, you will get all the fuel/water out excpet for perhaps less than a quart.

If you want teh last quart, pull out teh fuel sender and then such out remainder.

Be careful working around tanks, one spark and kaboom. They will find you on the roof of the house!

LI Grady

Reaction score
Thanks again for the opinions.

I think I'm going to stick the tank this weekend (assuming its not raining) with the water detection kit MRD sells and see what I'm dealing with.

Like I said the mechanic has already pumped out a significant amount of water so the real question is am I almost done with it or am I getting "new" water in from outside (I haven't refueled this tank)

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Take you gas cap off and check the O ring, clean the groove the O ring rides it on the cap, and clean the grove it mates with on the deck fitting.
You can get replacement O rings. Don't overtighten cap, snug it up firm.

Short of pouring water into the tank, no other place to get substantial water in - presuming your hoses are good.

LI Grady

Reaction score
I agree. We've already done all of that. Plus we've checked the gasket around the sending unit even though the top of the tanks under the inspection port was dry.

One thing the mechanic did say is that even thought the Racors look big, it really doesn't take much water to jam them up. That's why I'm going to try and dip the tank and see what I'm dealing with volume wise.

I'll let you know how I make out

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You checked the cap?

Sure there are no cut lines or other denst and the like in the O ring groove?

Pure water coming throoug a Racor keeps going right thru it, every fuel water seperator has it's lmitations.

Can't protect from a bad water fuel dump at station.