multifunction displays

bfloyd4445

Reaction score
I'm tired of MFD's and thinking of going back to dedicated displays. Radar, sounder,chart plotter each separate.
This will end that switching back and forth and allow all info visable at a glance. Likely will use opencpn for chart plotter and ais.
What do you think of this idea?
Thanks
Britt

Fishtales

Reaction score
I would go with (2) MFDs. You can get radar overlay, so you really only need the traditional view when it is real snotty. I usually have this on the 12" display and the finder on the 8.5" one. While running I'll split the screen on the smaller and have radar and finder on. You can always split the larger one if you want to as well. It gives you a little redundancy as well for the display unit, not that I've ever required it.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
which chart plotter uses opencpn? or are you talking about a laptop?

always personal preference, but as fishtales said, multiple mfd's give what you want and provide backup. i use two. helm real estate is always a factor no matter what you do. good luck, ron

bfloyd4445

Reaction score
ElyseM said:
which chart plotter uses opencpn? or are you talking about a laptop?

always personal preference, but as fishtales said, multiple mfd's give what you want and provide backup. i use two. helm real estate is always a factor no matter what you do. good luck, ron
None that i know of I currently use my netbook but am thinking of experimenting with a nice 12-15 inch monitor for use with opencpn, ais with possible radar over lays. Furuno has a very nice pc based system sold in Europe for ..I think around 10,000. I think they are playing with this concept because of competion from companies like cpn. I mean each display costs a bundle and a $400 netbook with open cpn can do most of it. Seems to me the handwriting is on the wall and i was curious as to what others like you guys were doing.