Multiple Radio's?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ok, I have been pondering on this question for a long time, so getting off my chest.

I see boats with multiple antenna's mounted. On my '92 Sailfish I just got recently, it had 3 on top. 1 is AM/FM, the other was VHF and the third was just the Antenna Mount...assuming the former owner removed it and did not replace.
Do folks run 2 VHF radio's? If so, why? Can 2 run side by side and is a good idea as a backup and/or monitor two different channels at the same time?
Is there a different type of radio folks use instead of VHF.

Was also reading about how to connect my VHF to the DSC on my HDS and found one wire says it is for clone connection. What is that for?

Ok, enough questions. I am sure you are dying to give me an ear full! :lol:

Enough Already

Reaction score
I have 3 radios - 2 fixed mount and one handheld. No interference issues. I have the two fixed for redundancy and its also nice to have one monitoring 16 while the other monitors 72 - our local fishing channel. Both are wired to GPS for DSC. The handheld is in my ditch bag.

DaleH

Reaction score
Enough Already said:
I have 3 radios - 2 fixed mount and one handheld. No interference issues. I have the two fixed for redundancy and its also nice to have one monitoring 16 while the other monitors 72 - our local fishing channel. Both are wired to GPS for DSC. The handheld is in my ditch bag.
Ditto, same here, less the 1st fixed isn't DSC equipped. I guess maybe I have 4 aboard! As 1 station has a remote/command mic, also with DSC activation, so i can run the VHF from the 2nd cotnrol station too.

On my Parker that is ... on the new-to-me Grady i'll be going back to 2, 1 fixed, 1 handheld (ditch bag).

Salinity Now

Reaction score
Same here, 2 independant radios, boat came with one, had a matching symetrical mount on other side of hard top, for LORAN, took that off, mounted a new antenna and DSC Radio, peace of mind for me, knowing its new, I installed it, registered the MMSI # etc, plus like already said, I like to constantly monitor 16.

Handheld as back up too.......406 EPIRB, McMudro PLB, 4man liferaft, type 1 PFD's.......I just need to actually learn how to fish offshore!!!

As for interference, most new equipment doesnt have alot of restrictions on where you can mount the normal items, VHFs, radars, GPS antennas etc, theyre all pretty well shielded unless you just happend to mount them within inches of each other, I think youre OK.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Enough Already said:

I have the exact set up. My handheld is a Standard Horizon HX850S which is submersible, it floats and is DSC capable.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Good info. Forgot about the Loran, that might have been the case on the middle mount as I did not find any evidence of a radio mounted anywhere else.

Since I brought my Icom over from old boat and the new to me Grady had the same Icom radio model, I think I might just install it in the radio box and like you said, have one on 16 and the other on the local or scan mode.

Still can't figure out 2 things:
1. What is the clone function for?
2. Got to figure out how to connect the DSC to my Lowrance HDS.

Got to get a handheld for ditchbag for sure. Assume one would use the AA batteries instead of Lithium Ion in a ditch bag and just replace batteries in bag each year.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Two fixed VHF radios.
Two separate VHF antennas. Both Digital 529 models.
Radios powered from separate power, i.e. one on the house bank, one on the engine batteries.
Both have DSC.
Both have our MMSI entered.
Both have position info from the Lowrance LCX-112C.

Usually only use one inshore, on 68 and 16.
Use both offshore, on two fishing channels and monitoring 16.

Two handheld VHFs onboard. One readily available in the helm area, and the other in the ditch bag - right next to the handheld GPS.

Brian

CWOT

Reaction score
Redundancy isn't just for the military, it’s a safety issue.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Was looking at the Shakespeare site about antenna's and they recommend the antenna be at least 3 feet away from any metal objects or other antenna's.

I am sure if I put up a second one in the middle, it will be closer than 3 feet. Anyone aware of this or had any issues with the VHF antenna's being too close to each other?

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Robert, Looks like everyone believes in carrying plenty of communication equipment. I also operate with two of all the critical items. Two VHFs with antennas on opposite sides of the hardtop. Two Chartplotters and two depth finders. Two hand operated bilge pumps in addition to the three electric ones. Another thing is I never venture offshore alone. About the only thing that I do not have a second one of is the engine. This is why the extra equipment is so important to me. 8)
Ken

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Jumpnjack. agree. Not sure I got your point here. Was asking about if anyone has realized this 3 foot separation?

Currently, I have my VHF on Port corner hardtop and FM antenna on Starboard corner of hardtop. In the middle, slightly forward is a antenna mount unused. Was thinking of adding another VHF there, but in reading came up across this 3 foot seperation comment from Shakespeare. Just being analytical and want to make sure if I add stuff that it will work properly. Nothing worse than adding a second antenna only to screw up the first one and neither working as well as possible.

I constantly go out 50+ miles, so am just trying to find out the right thing to do here. As you can tell, I am not one that just bolts stuff on....wait, I guess I do, then fix it later when I found out it was not correct. But I learn from my mistakes, so want to do the right thing here regarding the VHF.

Maybe I need to move the FM antenna to the middle and VHF's to the corners, but still, the FM antenna might cause problems with both if not more than 3 feet away. Just saying......looking for anyone with experience in this. Usually there are some radio geeks around that know. :mrgreen:

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Figured I would give ya'll an update. I pulled my AM/FM Shakespeare antenna and replaced with a 5225XP Shakespeare vhf. Now I have 2 radio's and 2 VHF's and all is working well.
I picked up the SWR meter and tested both and they both put out extremely well. The SWR reading was barely moving off the 1 on the meter.
The antenna's are mounted at base, 3' apart, but since hardtop is curved, they are likely approx. 4' apart at top.
Another poster mentioned replacing the FM antenna with a Tune Trapper Marine antenna. That was an excellent idea. Could put it in the helm electronics box right with the stereo and it would bend slightly and lay down and disappear. I have to say, the reception so far is the same as the 8' antenna so far! If you haven't seen one of these, check them out. Great solution and great price.

I have given up on the MMSI and DSC function on both Icom radio's. I can not get them to take my MMSI number no matter what I have tried. Also, seems that when transmitting NMEA0183 from my Lowrance HDS, it slows down the menu when I have Radar overlay turned on.
So. later will look into the Garmin NMEA2000 radio and hopefully resolve that issue.
In the ICOM manual, it makes a comment that I might not be able to program the MMSI if the dealer has programmed it. The code programming can only be performed 2 times.
The radio with the boat already had an MMSI, so I had to replace it with mine. Guess that one was 2 times as now it has none. The radio I owned never had it programmed to my knowledge as I purchased new from a retailer, so not sure what's up with that.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing the info and setup you have as I got good ideas from it. Now I have to think about a manual bilge pump.... :D