Mushroom mooring weight

Grady White Guy

Reaction score
I have a 225 Tournament and I'm having a new mooring set up for my boat. How much mushroom mooring weight do I need if it is moored in an unprotected harbor on the East coast of the USA? Is 300 lbs enough or should I get something heavier?
Also, what material/width of mooring pennant should I get and should it be attached to the bow eye or bow cleats? or both? Thanks!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Are you doing this yourself or hiring someone?

300lb would be fine, and about the minimum I would use. Good for the size boat you have, but I always build moorings with the anticipation of having a bigger boat on it. BUT, what are you using for the rest of the ground tackle? That will have a big impact.

I have usually shied away from using an actual "pendant", but 1/2" or 5/8" will be good. Absolutely nothing wrong with a true pendant line, but I use regular 1/2" stranded (I make up the line myself, putting an eye splice at both ends), doubled up and attach directly to both bow cleats when I don't have a bitt. With the bitt, come through the chocks and have both ropes go to the bitt.

JeffN

Reaction score
What is the nature of the bottom where the anchor is? When my 25' was on a mooring in an area with a sand bottom I used a combination of two mushrooms. IIRC I had a 150 lb. mushroom and I purchased another, hooked them together with a chain, put a swivel in the center and then chain up to my buoy. The prevailing winds are SW in normal weather and northerly in storms. I did have some protection to the south and the SW. The north to NE was pretty open. I rigged the anchors in a NE to SW line. The setup worked very well and never dragged during many fall storms over several seasons. 250 or 300 lbs. should be plenty I would think, The 150 lb. mushroom I had previously held a 22' CC in the same spot with no issues. Usually when a boat ends up on the beach around here there is a frayed piece of line hanging off the bow and that's it. I have seen boats still attached to an intact mooring on the beach but only once in a great while.