Music choices - heading thru the pass.....

sel1005

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Spring is coming and I love to crank up the music as I head out of Destin Pass (or Govt Cut in Miami or where ever I am....), get the Starbucks going and everyone pumped up for a day of mega fun and fishing and laughing while we do all the prep work and get ready to fish...

My favorite is "Humpty Dance" by Digital Underground, maybe some ZZ Top, and lots of Queen starting wth "Another One Bites the Dust".... Have upgraded the speakers on the boat to provide for a solid sound experience from the helm and cockpit.

I need to update the IPod for this season, what do you play while you are out on the water? I have one friend that actually likes to listen to NPR when fishing, sorry, can't go there, no way.....

When you crank it up, who / what's playing??

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hey sel.

I am a huge music buff and actually spent time in the industry. These days I mostly listen to more mellow music. In fact when I am on the boat even at the dock, I have my customer stereo going. I just don't play it as loud as in my sound engineering days. To answer you question:

o working at the dock, cruising
Brandi Carlile, Dido, Sarah M, Eagles, David Gray, Coldplay, Keane, Taylor Swift, Amiee Mann

o fishing

Journey, Dixie Chicks, Hooters, U2, Coldplay, Bodeans, Yes, Derek & the Dominos, Vertical Horizon, Bon Jovi

georgemjr

Reaction score
I like Jimmy Buffet and Bob Marley - any "beach" music - expecially when cruising or hanging at the beach. Otherwise I am listening to other fisherman trying to figure out why I am not catching and where I need to move to change that situation. The situationn rarely changes.

TunaT

Reaction score
music

funny you should bring that up, for last couple of years every morning on the way out the inlet its been Nazareth "hair of the dog" and coming back into the inlet its been Lynyrd Skyrynd "Sweet home Alabama" or if real bad on the water Ozzy "momma I'm coming home"......to be honest don't have a clue as to why, but it just seems to work out that way. come on spring.........

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I installed an Alpine marine cd tuner with ipod controller. Alpine worked with Apple in designing their new generation multimedia players. Every ipod function is displayed on the deck and the remote control controls the ipod too!

Music...like a good mix of rock, alternative and country. I appreciate classic rock of the 70s and 80s especially Springstreen, eagles, queen, U2, Mellan Cougar, Bob Segar, stevie, petty, journey,asia, 38 special, rod, et al. Enjoy the Buffet, Allen Jackson, and the like too on the water. I have a friend who is a dj and have some original remixed stuff using 80s rock and pop. I got the new Bon Jovi Circle cd and it is pretty decent. Got my daughter's Owl City cd on the ipod. Cool tunes.

I have wondered something though, sound travels through water quite well. Freshwater fish and flats fish are spooked by noise, I often wonder if having tunes playing while trolling negatively impacts the bight?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My music is the music of boating, my VHF..
I perform for a living full-time and I don't want to hear music on my boat when I've played and sang it all week...
A perfect evening is the lap of waves against the hull and the Coast Guard talking occasionally.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Sometimes the VHF gives us insight to where the bite is hot, too.

What kind of music do you perform?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hi Smoky...
Basically it's a "party band" All the hits performed with big PA, lights video, big-production,etc.
Songs range from 80's rock-pop(Van Halen, Bon Jovi, Prince,)
Some 70's anthems early in the nite before the dance music..(Hotel California,Pink Floyd, etc.)
Couple country things,(Shania, Big & Rich, and the like)

Plus, we do all the disco things, any danceable standards that you'd want.
We have fun performing, but it is a business for us, so we have no emotion in the songs we select for our playlist. What we like doesn't matter..what the crowd wants is the bottom line.
When I retire from the band, let's go to the Dry Tortugas...Maybe we can actually listen to music while at anchor there..(Especially since we'll be out-of-range for most VHF transmissions)
Thanks for asking about the band..

Bill...

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I love the diversity of you guys, Yes to the Dixie Chicks................

Australia's most popular song writer/singer is a guy called Paul Kelly and he has some awesome sing a long hits and outstanding albums,but my favourite is his only Bluegrass album called "Foggy Mountain Highway". I saw him perform this live on the back of a truck on Magnetic Island before I had heard any of the songs at all. I had to get the cd next day. We were staying onboard at a marina, so maybe that is why it is my favourite boating music.

Other favourites are Van the Man, The Waifs, The Boss, and any Doobies or Blood sweat and tears.

I've aften wondered wether a sub would help attract pelagics while trolling? I would be interested in any examples of for or against.

Maybe some whale music, trouble is, it's hard enough to stay awake, during those inevitable long slow periods, and that would certainly help push out some z's.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
At times I have enpoyed just about every artist mentioned save a few.
Music is a big part of my life. I did something similar to MB in the 80s but was more a concert band rather than party. It was all rock with 1/3 original. It is still fun telling road stories and amazing how often I run into folks who know the band well.

Bama96

Reaction score
Some Hank Jr.-All My Rowdy Friends, Dinosaur, Man of Steel. Then maybe some David Allen Coe. Clean the boat up to some Keith Whitley and a cold beer. Damn I miss summer. 8)

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
MagicBill, ever see Joe Dirt and the fireworks scene, it is not want you want it is what the consumer wants :wink: Name the time and date and lets head for Tortuga....

Jekyl: I got three letters for you it is spelled I N X S, great Aussie band!
Disclaimer: I attended the Joe Biden school for spellers.

sel1005

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Man, I need to get my Itunes card updated, you guys have given us so much new content to add to the IPod and I think I am down to low $$ left on the download card.

Which brings up a question: what we do is plug our IPod into the GW system and play thru the boats speakers, have considered adding some custom speakers or replacing GW standard speakers, but what do you use for equipment?

IPod, special speakers, ??? Whats the best total sound system to play all these great tunes on your GW?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
SmokyMtnGrady..
Boy I wish I could name a date..The problem is stringing together enough time to allow for the trailer down to Key West, extra days for high winds that would potentially hamper a return trip..it goes on.
We have both band and road/tech crew on the payroll and taking that much time off is not doable now..PLEASE keep me in mind..it will happen in the future.

Ooops..Better let this get back to music on boats...

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sel, there are lots of good systems. I read great things about JL Audio on THT. I found excellent outdoor speakers for Megabytes 1 and have used them ever since. As a pro sound engineer let me tell you they are amazingly flat although if you want to shake thinks a subwoofer is needed.

I have these on my deck, kitchen, patio at the coast, last boat, and four on Megabytes. In fact I have 2 brand new pairs in the box for Megabytes 3. Why? The new version is a tad larger and will not fit on the hardtop under the rocket launchers. I searched Ebay for a long while and found one pair last year and another a few months ago.

The speakers are Boston Acoustic Voyager Pro. (5.25" woofer, 1" tweeter, xover @ 2.5K)
I drive these with an Alpine unit in the port overhead box. It has an Alpine 6 CD changer mounted next to it. Works like a charm.

The reason I have 2 pair is so the 2 inner can face into the helm and the outer pair face the stern. I adjust the fader depending on if I am cruising or fishing.