My 2001 30 Marlin at Gun Cay, Bahamas

Gary M

Reaction score
Here's the HEY MON! anchored up at Honeymoon Harbour at the north end of Gun Cay, Bahamas, just a few miles south of Bimini. Taken in August 2006. That's Jen Jen M in the cockpit. LOVE that aft Bimini on those hot days in the Bahamas!

HnyMoon.jpg

Gary M

Reaction score
I consistently get 1.0-1.25 nmpg at 4,000 rpm and about 25-26 knots.

Multiply that by 1.15 to get those figures in statute mpg......

These engines get about 20% better economy over the twin 225 Evirudes on my 1994 Sailfish that I just sold. Oil burn is about half too. Tons of power.......

I'm very happy with these engines!

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Gary- Sweet setup.

Do you have any additional photos of the bimini top and how it attaches to your hardtop, how it stores, etc. ? I have spoken to several canvas guys and what they describe to me does not sound nearly as nice as what you have. I am interested in adding a top, like yours, as well as side curtains to make it like a camper back. Any advice, insight or pics are appreciated.

Gary M

Reaction score
Fishie,

We are BIG fans of retractable, aft Biminis! On my 25 Sailfish, I could retract it, lay it on top of the hardtop and strap it all down tight in under 2 minutes.

The one you see in the above photo was never meant to retract as this boat was a cruiser only. I did have it modified to retract, but the guy did the job incorrectly and I'll be starting from scratch with a new canvas company. Hopefully, we'll be able to salvage most of the frame and canvas.

I may be using new slide tracks and other hardware that comes from a company in England. This should make it very easy to retract which is what you want while fishing. Trust me, even my hard core fishing buddies, love being in the shade while running back and forth to the Bahamas!

Perhaps, I'll take photos along the way and post up a report when the new version is complete. We'll never have another boat without an aft Bimini!

MrPat

Reaction score
Gary M said:
Perhaps, I'll take photos along the way and post up a report when the new version is complete.

Please take detailed pics of the new set up, with links to the hardware company. I have a few friends that would love some shade on the 90 minute ride home from a day of fishing offshore.

dunwurkin

Reaction score
just came across your pix,, let me know how and where you got the top too, I am (family too) very interested. Thanks

Gary M

Reaction score
Will do!

My other two Winter/Spring projects will be to install the new Furuno NavNet with open-array antenna as well as some outriggers....