My 24 year old son just bought his first boat. A 2001 209 Escape with a 200hp Yamaha 4 stroke.

T-Russo

Reaction score
Model
Escape
We bought the boat without batteries in it. It has a 2 battery compartment. We purchased 1 new battery just to get it started. We put the battery the #1 position and the starter would engage but it won't turn the motor. I pulled all the plugs and turned the motor by hand. ( not seized ). We had power to the dash and the Yamaha engine gauges were on. Took the battery out and reinstalled in the battery #2 postion and the starter would not engage and the Yamaha engine gauges would not come on?? So I put the battery back in the #1 position and we had the same result as in the #2 position? Not sure how to trouble shoot the condition. Looking for advice. Currently no Yamaha gauges will turn on and no started engagement but we have power to the dash. Stereo, lights etc are powered?

seasick

Reaction score
Put the battery back in position 1.
Check the ground cables on the batteries. There should be a fat cable that bridges the two batteries together and without the second battery it may not be connected. If you have the old battery, for now connect it in position 2 just to have a way to make sure all grounds are connected.

When you say the starter would engage, what do you mean. Would it actually engage the flywheel and then stall? Or did it spin but not engage the flywheel?. In the later case, you are missing a ground wire between the two batteries. In the first case, you may also have missing ground or a bad battery connection.
Let us know about the starter first, engage or notengage teeth.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Sounds like 2 banks, one for the engine and one for the balance (house). Seasick is likely correct, you have a ground loop problem. I'd get a 2nd new battery, you are going to need it anyway.

T-Russo

Reaction score
Model
Escape
Put the battery back in position 1.
Check the ground cables on the batteries. There should be a fat cable that bridges the two batteries together and without the second battery it may not be connected. If you have the old battery, for now connect it in position 2 just to have a way to make sure all grounds are connected.

When you say the starter would engage, what do you mean. Would it actually engage the flywheel and then stall? Or did it spin but not engage the flywheel?. In the later case, you are missing a ground wire between the two batteries. In the first case, you may also have missing ground or a bad battery connection.
Let us know about the starter first, engage or notengage teeth.
The starter does engage but doesn’t turn the engine. I pulled all the spark plugs and turned the engine by hand to confirm it is not seized.

T-Russo

Reaction score
Model
Escape
Installed 2 new batteries. Now I cannot get the starter to engage. Also Yamaha Gauges don't turn on? Stereo powers up. I checked the blocks on the outboard and I have power to the engine blocks? Before with one battery I had power to the Yamaha Gauges and the starter was engaging but won't turn the engine.

Could I have blown a fuse? I checked the fuses in the battery compartment. They are all good. If you reverse polarity on the #1 Battery would that short the battery switch. My son was working on it when I went to buy the other battery.. When I had one battery we had power to the Yamaha gauges?? Not sure why we lost it

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Connect the motor starter cable to the battery. No switches. Both the Pos & Neg directlty to the battery terminals.
If that doesn't work, look at the starter cable and starter.

If it works directly on a battery then look at your switches, battery jumpers and any ground bus

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Had the same issue about a week ago. Starter would pop up engage the flywheel and nothing. Engine and battery battery grounds were slight grey and loose.

seasick

Reaction score
Had the same issue about a week ago. Starter would pop up engage the flywheel and nothing. Engine and battery battery grounds were slight grey and loose.

This sounds likely to me. Just to be sure, did you confirm that there is a battery cable connecting the grounds of bat 1 to bat 2. Take a look at the ends of those cables also( and the Pos cable ends) to see if the lugs are corroded or loose.
Follow the fat cables on the motor, especially the ground and clean and re-tighten those connections. There has to be a bad connection somwwhere.
For testing purposes, set the battery switch to BOTH.
It is possible that you have a bad switch. Did you ever observe the motor starting before?

T-Russo

Reaction score
Model
Escape
Installed 2 new batteries. Now I cannot get the starter to engage. Also Yamaha Gauges don't turn on? Stereo powers up. I checked the blocks on the outboard and I have power to the engine blocks? Before with one battery I had power to the Yamaha Gauges and the starter was engaging but won't turn the engine.

Could I have blown a fuse? I checked the fuses in the battery compartment. They are all good. If you reverse polarity on the #1 Battery would that short the battery switch. When I had one battery hooked up we had power to the Yamaha gauges and the starter would engage but won't not turn the engine?? Not sure why we lost it

seasick

Reaction score
The fact that some things like the stereo work doesn't mean that you don't have a bad connection or missing that jumper. The started draws a lot more current than any accessories.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I once had the same problem...turned out I missed reconnecting the ground between the battery banks...it had fallen down into the bilge. Now, whenever I disconnect the starboard side battery, I run a zip tie through all the wires. That way I can't lose anything.

seasick

Reaction score
I once had the same problem...turned out I missed reconnecting the ground between the battery banks...it had fallen down into the bilge. Now, whenever I disconnect the starboard side battery, I run a zip tie through all the wires. That way I can't lose anything.

I've mentioned this a few times in this thread. When I first made that mistake years back, the starter motor would spin but the Bendix drive didn't have enough oomph to make the gear extend into the flywheel teeth.
Yes the jumper wire was laying in the bottom of the locker:)

T-Russo

Reaction score
Model
Escape
The fact that some things like the stereo work doesn't mean that you don't have a bad connection or missing that jumper. The started draws a lot more current than any accessories.
Thank you all for your help. Found 2 blown 30 amp fuses in the side of the engine. Must have been from reversing the polarity on the battery hook up. Cleaned the terminals and the starter fully engaged - the Yamaha gauges were back on. Appreciate the guidance and help from everyone. Great group. My son was so happy to see his first boat fire up. Great feeling

seasick

Reaction score
You got lucky:) The reversed battery could have caused major damage.
Safe boating to you and your family!

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
This sounds likely to me. Just to be sure, did you confirm that there is a battery cable connecting the grounds of bat 1 to bat 2. Take a look at the ends of those cables also( and the Pos cable ends) to see if the lugs are corroded or loose.
Follow the fat cables on the motor, especially the ground and clean and re-tighten those connections. There has to be a bad connection somwwhere.
For testing purposes, set the battery switch to BOTH.
It is possible that you have a bad switch. Did you ever observe the motor starting before?

My issue is fixed. I replaced all the connections and cleaned and tightened the engine grounds to the post. Starts on either battery without any hessitation.

Fishtales

Reaction score
nice to see you didn't damage anything.... good luck with her.