My 330 Express Experience

isurus22

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,
I've been on this site for at least 10 years and have read nearly every thread on the 330 Express, as it has been my dream boat since it came out. I have a 1988 Seafarer 228 that has been in my family since new. I finally got my permission slip from my wife this fall for the 330, but my budget was limited to 2002-2006 price boats. I had 3 different boats under contract this winter only to have them fail due to delamination on the sides and transom of the boat. I was very discouraged by this and still makes me worry that I will run into this in the future on the one I ended up buying. I ended up buying a 2004 with 2012 Yamaha F300s in South Carolina. I drove it up a few weeks ago by water 950 miles to NH. Here are my Loves and dis-likes (don't hate anything).
Loves:
-This boat is a tank. WAYYYYY better than I thought in the rough stuff. Much closer to a 40-50 foot battlewagon than my Seafarer 22. The people who say it gets hard to control in a quartering or following sea are crazy. Nothing got scary ever!
-It tracks amazingly well. Our autopilot was broken on the trip and steering was very easy, the boat goes straight and the engines don't bog down with every wave like my seafarer.
-The cabin and amenities are big for the size of the boat. Cooking and making coffee on a boat is a big step up for me. We have no problem sleeping my family on it.
-Center helm with the side seating allows much more room and some napping areas compared to like a Marlin 300. I want to be able to have a quick nap while still being close to the rods.
-Two engines is pretty cool. She will spin on her axis but in the wind it is not easy. She does have a bit of a bow sail. I don't have a bow thruster which would have been nice as I learn but I think it will be fine once I get more practice.
-Luxury and performance. She was dry and comfortable even in the storms I went through. This is really a game changer. A little like going from a bicycle to a motorhome. And she is just as fast as the seafarer.

Dis-likes:
-Fuel burn. Even with the 300 Yamahas she was thirsty. at 25 knots I was getting .82 nautical mpg. Increase to 28 knots and it was in the 32-34 gallons per hour. Maybe at 22 I might burn closer to 0.9 nmpg but it was certainly worse than advertised. The $1200 gas bill on long Island was enlightening ;-)
-Storage. I have a giant storage area on my 228 in the middle of the deck (not stock) but the 330 doesn't have big areas of storage especially in the cockpit. (like for a spare anchor, fenders, etc.)
-Electronics Access: Tough to get in places to even see things let alone work on them. I guess that goes with the territory of a mid size boat with tons of equipment.

Overall I love my 228 Seafarer and I think its the best boat ever built in that size class, but I may end up selling her. The 330 Express is really an amazing boat. I can get nearly as shallow as a small boat but can run with the big boys offshore. Really the best of both worlds. Thanks for listening. I am hoping to put some videos up on youtube of my trip.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Interesting observations. Agree with most of them. The fuel burn is a puzzle though. What RPM's were you running at those various speeds? Do you know the WOT RPM's? How was she trimmed?

I was very surprised that my numbers with the 225's were exactly where they were reported to be, 1mpg. The 300's should do a bit better.

Mine has a thruster, which is a great option, but you'll find that with the wide spread of the motors on that hull it is pretty nimble even without one. A hint is to open the side curtains, as that reduces the sail area a bit.

As for storage - I end up using the rear fishbox for fenders and my small anchor on day trips where I don't have a need for it otherwise. I should really think about installing a fender holder for up on the bow, as inconvenient as that might be. Funny, no matter how large the boat, there is never enough space for all the stuff one wants to have. Even when I had a 16 foot lund tiller, I was always amazed at how big the pile was on the garage floor when it was time to store the boat for winter! Though now it takes a couple full truckloads to empty it.

Last edited:

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
-Storage. I have a giant storage area on my 228 in the middle of the deck (not stock) but the 330 doesn't have big areas of storage especially in the cockpit. (like for a spare anchor, fenders, etc.)
I'm curious about the storage, did yours come with dual tanks and you took out a tank or what? I'd like some dry cockpit storage in my 2020 228.

On selling, you probably know, but Grady quit making them. If yours is in good shape you should get top dollar. Though if it were me, and I could afford it, I'd keep it. Cheaper to run for small groups.

BTW, my 228 has a 250 and I don't experience it bogging down. Falling off plane at anything less than 20mph (regular not nautical), yes. Being a little slow on the hole shot in really lumpy conditions, yes. Other than that, no complaints, I've had her going 45mph (advertised top speed is 47 and that's probably right on a flat lake with no head wind).

Enjoy your new toy, it sounds (mostly) awesome! I can only imagine how it beats you up less than the 228 did, must make you grin every time.

Reactions: PointedRose

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Congrats on the new boat. Regarding electronic access. What are you trying to get at? The helm pod will flip up for access, most if not all of the rigging tunnels and pathways should be easily accessible by just removing panels and your upper electronic box should be wide open. I looked hard at the 330 before I bought my 305 and would have bought one if not for dock restrictions. I cannot really comment on fuel burn as my boat is lighter, however the numbers that have been reported with the 330s were a little better then what you are seeing.

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for supporting the LI economy. ;)

Enjoy the boat!

Reactions: Pat Hurley

MA208

Reaction score
Sounds like a great trip up. You should do a post on the experience

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've noticed that the boat is quite sensitive to engine trim in terms of maximizing MPG -- you might try trimming out a bit. What props are you running and what is your top speed & RPM?

Reactions: FirstTimeGrady

PlayMaker

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I just put a brand new pair of 300 Suzukis on my 2006 330 Express, and we are still in the prop testing phase. But early testing with the stock props has me seeing 26 knots at cruise with a fuel burn of around 26-27 per hour. It's all about the trim and the correct props with these boats. We will be trying 4 blades next, but I have seen several people that are getting 26 Knots at 4200 RPM and only burning 23-24 per hour. That is the goal I am reaching for. We do very long range trips offshore, so maximum efficiency is a must. Good luck with the new ride. You will love it!!

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I just put a brand new pair of 300 Suzukis on my 2006 330 Express, and we are still in the prop testing phase. But early testing with the stock props has me seeing 26 knots at cruise with a fuel burn of around 26-27 per hour. It's all about the trim and the correct props with these boats. We will be trying 4 blades next, but I have seen several people that are getting 26 Knots at 4200 RPM and only burning 23-24 per hour. That is the goal I am reaching for. We do very long range trips offshore, so maximum efficiency is a must. Good luck with the new ride. You will love it!!
Please do keep us posted. I'm a couple years away from a repower (though with the engine delays reported, it might behoove me to get in line now :D) and having as much info as possible from similar boats will certainly help the decision. The numbers you are aiming for are what I'd be thrilled with, coming from 225s.

georgemjr

Reaction score
Your Fuel burn is way off. My '07 with 250s gets 1.0, I've seen 1.1 to 1.2 on the best of conditions super light and as low as what you described when the opposite is true. I had an '06 previously, same numbers. Grady chooses not to put any storage below deck (below water line). Everything they build is self-bailing. Because of that safety feature, there is certainly a lack of storage unlike some of the competitors who put in floor lockers with pumps in. I agree, best overall boat in its class. It is why I bought one after regretting selling my previous one. As you described, it can be backed up to a beach in knee deep water, overnighted comfortably as a cruiser, has the range to hit the canyons fishing and it can be trailered and put up for the winter in my driveway, allowing me to avoid expensive yard bills. Great overall boat.

georgemjr

Reaction score
My bad: or at least my poor reading comprehension. My numbers are statute, as I use mph instead of knots and nautical miles. I am aware as a boater I should be using knots and nautical but I like to look at the higher mph and better fuel burn. It makes me feel better when I am running!

isurus22

Reaction score
I'm curious about the storage, did yours come with dual tanks and you took out a tank or what? I'd like some dry cockpit storage in my 2020 228.

On selling, you probably know, but Grady quit making them. If yours is in good shape you should get top dollar. Though if it were me, and I could afford it, I'd keep it. Cheaper to run for small groups.

BTW, my 228 has a 250 and I don't experience it bogging down. Falling off plane at anything less than 20mph (regular not nautical), yes. Being a little slow on the hole shot in really lumpy conditions, yes. Other than that, no complaints, I've had her going 45mph (advertised top speed is 47 and that's probably right on a flat lake with no head wind).

Enjoy your new toy, it sounds (mostly) awesome! I can only imagine how it beats you up less than the 228 did, must make you grin every time.
My 228 fuel tank is in the space in between the two helm seats, some of the Seafarers have the fuel tank further aft in the boat. On my boat that (aft deck) area was for the auxillary fuel tank which I dont have. For many years with had two hatches cut and put all sorts of stuff down there, stuff that can get dirty like bumpers, anchors, etc. A few years ago, i pulled the whole deck piece off and reattached with hinges. Now i call pull the entire thing open and have a 128 qt cooler in the bilge area. I lift the hatch and now I have a huge coffin in the deck. I really like having all my ice and bait down there because it keeps all the weight down low. I can try to take some pictures this weekend. I wish my 330 had something like that in the deck.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Love my 330! Perfect offshore and family boat! Rides big and no pounding like my old 272 had. Enjoy!!! I would have one hell of a time getting my boat in its slip if not for the bow thruster. Makes it much easier and keep bow from hitting a bump out.DE29DA57-8009-4C01-86FA-245DFFA4E2E4.jpeg

Reactions: Viking88rd

mfl1375

Reaction score
We have the same exact boat, we have 2012 yamahas. But we have a little tower with a 3 person buggy seat and controls. Your fuel burn is exactly what we get. I thought it was the tower that brought down the numbers. At 4200 rpms we get 25knts and burn 28gph.

your description of the boat is perfect. As for storage there is a big compartment under the forward cushions.

my only gripe is that the boat optimal speed is under 9knts or over 22. But whatever. It is a perfect boat.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,
I've been on this site for at least 10 years and have read nearly every thread on the 330 Express, as it has been my dream boat since it came out. I have a 1988 Seafarer 228 that has been in my family since new. I finally got my permission slip from my wife this fall for the 330, but my budget was limited to 2002-2006 price boats. I had 3 different boats under contract this winter only to have them fail due to delamination on the sides and transom of the boat. I was very discouraged by this and still makes me worry that I will run into this in the future on the one I ended up buying. I ended up buying a 2004 with 2012 Yamaha F300s in South Carolina. I drove it up a few weeks ago by water 950 miles to NH. Here are my Loves and dis-likes (don't hate anything).
Loves:
-This boat is a tank. WAYYYYY better than I thought in the rough stuff. Much closer to a 40-50 foot battlewagon than my Seafarer 22. The people who say it gets hard to control in a quartering or following sea are crazy. Nothing got scary ever!
-It tracks amazingly well. Our autopilot was broken on the trip and steering was very easy, the boat goes straight and the engines don't bog down with every wave like my seafarer.
-The cabin and amenities are big for the size of the boat. Cooking and making coffee on a boat is a big step up for me. We have no problem sleeping my family on it.
-Center helm with the side seating allows much more room and some napping areas compared to like a Marlin 300. I want to be able to have a quick nap while still being close to the rods.
-Two engines is pretty cool. She will spin on her axis but in the wind it is not easy. She does have a bit of a bow sail. I don't have a bow thruster which would have been nice as I learn but I think it will be fine once I get more practice.
-Luxury and performance. She was dry and comfortable even in the storms I went through. This is really a game changer. A little like going from a bicycle to a motorhome. And she is just as fast as the seafarer.

Dis-likes:
-Fuel burn. Even with the 300 Yamahas she was thirsty. at 25 knots I was getting .82 nautical mpg. Increase to 28 knots and it was in the 32-34 gallons per hour. Maybe at 22 I might burn closer to 0.9 nmpg but it was certainly worse than advertised. The $1200 gas bill on long Island was enlightening ;-)
-Electronics Access: Tough to get in places to even see things let alone work on them. I guess that goes with the territory of a mid size boat with tons of equipment.

Overall I love my 228 Seafarer and I think its the best boat ever built in that size class, but I may end up selling her. The 330 Express is really an amazing boat. I can get nearly as shallow as a small boat but can run with the big boys offshore. Really the best of both worlds. Thanks for listening. I am hoping to put some videos up on youtube of my trip.
The 330 is my dream boat as well..maybe someday. The 228 is a solid 22 footer but nowhere near the class of a 330. Congrats on the boat .