My 330 Express Experience

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Glad you found one you liked. I think I saw some of your posts on Grady Life on Facebook. Your burning way too much fuel. I have the Suzuki DF250AP’s. I bought the boat not long after it was repowered. The Gentleman got sick right after buying new motors and Gen set. The Suzuki dealer put factory 3 blade 15x17 props on the boat. We ran 750 miles from Naples FL to Myrtle Beach SC. We got around 1 mpg. Right after that trip, I was working the IBEX Show (International Boating Exhibition). That our big marine industry trade show. I went over and spoke with the Suzuki Guys. They told me that for a big heavy boat like that. PowerTech makes a prop specifically for that. Its 4 blade with large blades. I can stay on plane at lower speeds. I can jam the throttles forward for the hole shot without blowing out. And I average 1.25 miles per gallon. The Suzuki’s are a little better on fuel, but you can do way better then what your getting. You will loose about 2 to 3 mph top speed, but who runs wide open? Call Marcus at PowerTech In Alabama. Tell him Russ from Shurflo Pumps told you to call. He will figure out the correct prop For you boat. I’m running 16x16, but I have a totally different gear ratio then you. The picture below is with 310 gal of fuel onboard and 30 gal of water. No gear or passengers. When I’m totally loaded. I get 1.15 mpg at 26.5mph. 4FC7B89A-1127-4C23-936C-023B8E134510.jpeg

Reactions: FirstTimeGrady

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I just put a brand new pair of 300 Suzukis on my 2006 330 Express, and we are still in the prop testing phase. But early testing with the stock props has me seeing 26 knots at cruise with a fuel burn of around 26-27 per hour. It's all about the trim and the correct props with these boats. We will be trying 4 blades next, but I have seen several people that are getting 26 Knots at 4200 RPM and only burning 23-24 per hour. That is the goal I am reaching for. We do very long range trips offshore, so maximum efficiency is a must. Good luck with the new ride. You will love it!!
I have the Suzuki DF250AP’s which are the same engines As the 300’s. They are just rated at 6000 rpm rather then 6300. I switched to the PowerTech 4 blade 16x16’s. I average 1.25 mpg on my 330. That’s at around 27mph loaded. Fantastic hole shot. Stays on plane better at lower speeds. The boat handles better around the marina too.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Enjoy it! Sounds like a beast!!

georgemjr

Reaction score
BTW, one other observation, I have bumper holders in the bow on the vertical for the rail. I have taken to storing the bumpers in the v-berth because they block the forward visibility considerable. You just aren't high enough to see over them and I can't see through them. If I move them back one, they would be in the way on the walkway, one further forward would be even more in my line of sight. Just no good place for them IMO.

Reactions: kirk a

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Hi Everybody,
I've been on this site for at least 10 years and have read nearly every thread on the 330 Express, as it has been my dream boat since it came out. I have a 1988 Seafarer 228 that has been in my family since new. I finally got my permission slip from my wife this fall for the 330, but my budget was limited to 2002-2006 price boats. I had 3 different boats under contract this winter only to have them fail due to delamination on the sides and transom of the boat. I was very discouraged by this and still makes me worry that I will run into this in the future on the one I ended up buying. I ended up buying a 2004 with 2012 Yamaha F300s in South Carolina. I drove it up a few weeks ago by water 950 miles to NH. Here are my Loves and dis-likes (don't hate anything).
Loves:
-This boat is a tank. WAYYYYY better than I thought in the rough stuff. Much closer to a 40-50 foot battlewagon than my Seafarer 22. The people who say it gets hard to control in a quartering or following sea are crazy. Nothing got scary ever!
-It tracks amazingly well. Our autopilot was broken on the trip and steering was very easy, the boat goes straight and the engines don't bog down with every wave like my seafarer.
-The cabin and amenities are big for the size of the boat. Cooking and making coffee on a boat is a big step up for me. We have no problem sleeping my family on it.
-Center helm with the side seating allows much more room and some napping areas compared to like a Marlin 300. I want to be able to have a quick nap while still being close to the rods.
-Two engines is pretty cool. She will spin on her axis but in the wind it is not easy. She does have a bit of a bow sail. I don't have a bow thruster which would have been nice as I learn but I think it will be fine once I get more practice.
-Luxury and performance. She was dry and comfortable even in the storms I went through. This is really a game changer. A little like going from a bicycle to a motorhome. And she is just as fast as the seafarer.

Dis-likes:
-Fuel burn. Even with the 300 Yamahas she was thirsty. at 25 knots I was getting .82 nautical mpg. Increase to 28 knots and it was in the 32-34 gallons per hour. Maybe at 22 I might burn closer to 0.9 nmpg but it was certainly worse than advertised. The $1200 gas bill on long Island was enlightening ;-)
-Storage. I have a giant storage area on my 228 in the middle of the deck (not stock) but the 330 doesn't have big areas of storage especially in the cockpit. (like for a spare anchor, fenders, etc.)
-Electronics Access: Tough to get in places to even see things let alone work on them. I guess that goes with the territory of a mid size boat with tons of equipment.

Overall I love my 228 Seafarer and I think its the best boat ever built in that size class, but I may end up selling her. The 330 Express is really an amazing boat. I can get nearly as shallow as a small boat but can run with the big boys offshore. Really the best of both worlds. Thanks for listening. I am hoping to put some videos up on youtube of my trip.
On the storage issue. Below decks. Almost 100% of the space is fuel tanks and flotation foam. Two very important features. Gives you an unsinkable boat and really long range. We use the livewell for storage. It’s really big And dry. The cabinet under the galley is pretty big too. When we go on trips. We use the forward compartment under the V-Berth For non fragile things. We also put almost all our groceries in a hammock hanging from the ceiling on the port side in the V-Berth. We have another hammock on the wall down by our feet in the quarter berth. We keep towels in there.
I am considering putting a large starboard cabinet in the wall on the port side in the quarter berth. There is a ton of open space back there.

Reactions: ECO

battles2a5

Reaction score
Great review, very similar experiences to my own. Same likes and gripes. I went from a '25 cc and I will say the boat "gets smaller" the more hours you have and you will be able to stick her where you want her in no time. Great tip around taking up as much of the side windows when docking to reduce windage. Like others, I use the rear fishbox for day to day storage when we are port hopping and doing weekend trips. On a big fishing trip I will stow the fenders and such in the head or leave them at the dock depending on the float plan. I wish I had a pro tip for the gas bill other than you can't take it with you when you die. Congrats and enjoy it!

fsc60

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I bought Power tech OFS4 15.25x15 pitch 4 blade props last June.
They are on Yamaha 300s which are on my 2001 3300 Express boat is bottom painted, boat is full of fuel and water.
I can tell you this, we went out for a ride, 11 people, 4200rpms and we were at 32 mph
It felt like it had so much more
After Break in 5500 RPMs at 40 mph, my Yamaha Dealer thinks that if I try to get more RPMs with a different prop I will probably over Rev.
This combination works great, i can stay on plane as low as 3200 RPMs
They bite great, She pops right out of the water, reverse is no problem,
I typically Cruise at 4000 rpms at 30 mph with a 1.1 mile per gal thru anything,

Reactions: PointedRose

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
BTW, one other observation, I have bumper holders in the bow on the vertical for the rail. I have taken to storing the bumpers in the v-berth because they block the forward visibility considerable. You just aren't high enough to see over them and I can't see through them. If I move them back one, they would be in the way on the walkway, one further forward would be even more in my line of sight. Just no good place for them IMO.
Thanks for this info - those holders had been on my list of things to buy. Guess I'll continue to deal with them as I have.

isurus22

Reaction score
Hey guys, Thanks for all the feedback.
I updated a lot this year:
1. Septic tank fitting broke
2. Added 7 rod rocket launchers on the roof.
3. Replaced my Lees Sidewinder outrigger poles with carbon retractable ones. I have the Lees if anyone wants to buy them cheap.
4. Added all LED lighting.
5. Roof Liferaft. and more...
Things I want to do
1. Add Seastar electric assist steering pump
2. Add bowthruster
3. Add Lithium Phosphate battery bank and separate it from two lead starting batteries.

I finally put together all my video footage from SC to NH. It was 948 miles and it took about 3.5 days running sunrise to sunset. Here are the links to my youtube page.

There are some other cool timelapse videos on there. NYC was very cool.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Jrspawn

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey guys, Thanks for all the feedback.
I updated a lot this year:
1. Septic tank fitting broke
2. Added 7 rod rocket launchers on the roof.
3. Replaced my Lees Sidewinder outrigger poles with carbon retractable ones. I have the Lees if anyone wants to buy them cheap.
4. Added all LED lighting.
5. Roof Liferaft. and more...
Things I want to do
1. Add Seastar electric assist steering pump
2. Add bowthruster
3. Add Lithium Phosphate battery bank and separate it from two lead starting batteries.

I finally put together all my video footage from SC to NH. It was 948 miles and it took about 3.5 days running sunrise to sunset. Here are the links to my youtube page.

There are some other cool timelapse videos on there. NYC was very cool.
Might be interested in the lee’s!

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Congrats on your new purchase and your videos were fun to watch! I've had mine for 10 years and couldn't be happier. Enjoy :cool:.
By the way, I get an average 1.0 mpg with my 4.2 L 250's - repowered earlier in the year. Still using the props from my old Yamaha 225's - looking to play with prop options early next year.

ResizerImage1128X846.jpg

Reactions: FirstTimeGrady