My '86 Sailfish on Lake Ontario

UpGrady

Reaction score
Twin 470's with an Atlantic Tower. All set to rip salmon! Can't wait for spring again!

100_1029.jpg
[/img]
100_1028.jpg

UpGrady

Reaction score
We use outriggers for a numbers of things on Lake Ontario. First we troll for Trout and Salmon, generally 2.5 mph. We can use the outriggers to run toplines in the spring when the water is cold and the fish are near the surface and again in the fall as the salmon are congrgating around the rivermouths in shallow water to run toplines. Also, during the summer months, we are generally fishing 50-150' down temperature dependent and we have a number of methods of getting extra lines out in addition to typical downriggers. Namely dipsey divers, leadcore line, copper line, drop weights etc. The outriggers can allow you to use these methods and get them away from your downriggers a bit further.

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Nice setup UpGrady. Will you be fishing the Lake Trout Derby on Seneca Lake in May? I will be on my brothers boat; Relentless.

UpGrady

Reaction score
I do not trailer and merely fish Lake Ontario out of Irondequoit Bay near Rochester.
The Seneca Derby has been a big one on that lake for a lot of years, but have never fished it. Good Luck!

UpGrady

Reaction score
Ken,

I've spent the past 30 years of my life fishing the Big-O and would miss it greatly if I left... The ocean is awesome, but to have a mini ocean with a fantastic fishery and freshwater is awesome too.

My brother moved to Charleston, SC 10 years ago and runs a Sailfish down there, but needs to come back north every summer for salmon and really misses coming in from a day of fishing and being able to walk away from the boat rather than spending hours cleaning and scrubbing.

Best of luck on Seneca another little know freshwater gem of a fishery!

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Shhhh ....Don't tell everybody, that fishery really is a secret; not many outsiders.

When my brothers come down and we fish the Ocean I work them hard cleaning the boat. When I go up there they return the favor by making me buy the beer!

UpGrady

Reaction score
OOPS!!! Gotta learn how to keep my mouth shut! We have a very active fishing forum up here which covers mainly Lake O, but also the Finger Lakes at www.lakeontariounited.com if you or your brother are interested.
Sounds like a very similar adventure when I get together with my brother... enjoy!