My Bimini

flyboy911

Reaction score
IMG_1393_1.jpg

My new Bimini 2004! :D

Gary M

Reaction score
I noticed that you both have closed array/radome antennas for your radars. Is there a specific reason why you bought that versus an open array? Did they come with the boat (as mine did)? If so, do you have plans to upgrade to an open array?

I have never heard of one, but is there any advantage to the radome over the open array?

Nice boat, both of you!

go fish

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I went for the dome for the price.

Nice rig. How do you like the HPDI 250s? I had them on my old Bimini. They were nicer than the ox66, but I still like the Four strokes.

Gary M

Reaction score
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
i called grady and they told me that it would be too heavy for the t-top the open array.

Gotcha, thanks.......

I'll keep this in mind when installing my Furuno Navnet with 4 foot open array. The antenna itself is very light but it's the motor to swing it that is heavy!

I have no idea if the hardtops are the same on the Bimini or my 2001 Marlin. Looks like a call will be made tomorrow to G-W to find out. I know that the hardtop is very sturdy with my 230 lb load up there! Depending on how the motor is regularly mounted, I may have a backing plate made to help to make it more sturdy.........

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The Marlin will hold an array with no problem but it was recommended to install at the front where the top is stronger. See mine in the photos section. I'll probably bump up to the 4' 6KW model for Megabytes 3 :lol:

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mega, I know about the marlin top, but mine is not made the same way.It's light and very thin.They did that for better center of gravity.(That's what they said).

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Roger. IIRC the 306 previously had a canvas top until the 2006 redesign, yes?

I guess it would require a custom top to use an array. I have seen some on the larger Regs and Contenders.

gw204

Reaction score
I would think a canvas T-Top would be even better at handling the weight of an open array. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the canvas would put less strain on the top frame than a hardtop, which in turn would add up to less overall strain even with an open array.

Gary M

Reaction score
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
What do you have up there that weights 230 lbs?

When I drag my big fat butt up there, it's 230 pounds on the hardtop! My electronics guy will make up a backing plate for it....... It will probably go into the same spot as the current Raymarine radome which is on the forward end of the bubble. That drops right into the overhead box. The wiring will then run down inside the tube that helps to hold up the overhead box and conveniently drops down into the lower box where the 10" screen will be flush mounted alongside the current Furuno 582 FF. He's as excited as I am about doing a really neat, custom flush mount!