My First Grady 2005 265 Express

Little KaTuna

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I purchased her with the northeast canyons in mind I hope she serves me well.My first order of business is to put two new factory direct Yamaha short blocks on her,the ones she came with had a sever case of midsection corrosion that made its way to the power head.The replacement parts for midsections are currently sitting in my living room waiting to be put back together.I will be going through her thoroughly from top to bottom before I put her in the water I have some spider cracks to take care of buffing waxing and so on.If there are any current owners of this model please give some advice as to things I should look into repairing and or upgrading considering my intended use for her.I think I am going to plumb a 50 or 75 gallon fuel balder to her to extend the range just a little.I have the essential electronics and safety gear already basically just gonna focus on the boat for now.I might have bitten off more than I can chew this time. Thank you in advance for any tips/suggestions

Uncle Binky

Reaction score
Congrats on your purchase. Hopefully you got a screaming deal on it, considering the amount of work you have ahead of you. I have loved (almost) every minute with mine. Learn to trim the engines, and you'll be very comfortable in most any conditions. Please post some pics and keep us posted as you progress.

Graybeard

Reaction score
Our first GW is a Freedom 225 we bought new in 2013......and still have. Our second GW is a 2003 Marlin 30 we just bought. I learned early on from my fellow members of the Chesapeake Bay Grady White Club about the dry exhaust corrosion design defect in early Yamaha 225-250’s. I made sure both of the 225’s on my boat already had the repair kits installed. The marina/broker did the work and showed me the $7k invoice.

SeaVee

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat (no pun intended) Just bought an 01 with 200 HPDI's. 480 hours on the entire rig! Boatel kept.. Currently cleaning/compounding hull and top sides, polishing fuel tomorrow (Aux tank hasn't been used in 13 years!) new trailer, soft goods, and maybe a new set of curtains. Fuel lines and senders to be replaced next, and that dag gone transom cap, gonna have to figure out a fix to seal it up until I can get the motors off to get it repaired right. Also going to have my mechanic go thru the motors, he's a HPDI guru so I'm lucky there.
Fuel bladder, huh? Wow you must have run. I don't think I'll ever need 250 gallons down here in VB.
Next stop, electronics and stereo, sh'e got some legacy electronics on her. It's only money!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I'm a new 265 owner too. Got it in Oct 17. Got one Toms Canyon trip and fall striper season. Just fired up the motors today. been getting ready. Plan to splash on Saturday.
There are a few recent posts already regarding 265s so I won't repeat. Search for 265 and you'll find them. Your going to love that boat.

If you have four strokes I don't think you'll need extra fuel. Unfortunately, I have gas sucking OX66s....dreaming of Suzuki DF200s

Little KaTuna

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Uncle Binky said:
Congrats on your purchase. Hopefully you got a screaming deal on it, considering the amount of work you have ahead of you. I have loved (almost) every minute with mine. Learn to trim the engines, and you'll be very comfortable in most any conditions. Please post some pics and keep us posted as you progress.
I think I overpaid considering its condition and as soon as I learn how to post pictures I will send updates.On a positive note I will know what I have when I am done with her.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
regarding posting pix...

google doesn't let you put links of your pix on forums.
Photobucket charges for it now.

get IMGUR account (http://www.imgur.com)

Choose the size you want. For the forum, small,medium or large is best depending on what you are posting. Original pix are sometimes giant and don't fit the forum screen.
small square looks good in your signature.

Use the BBcode "copy"
Just Paste (CTRL+V) it into your post

mDJXdbQ.jpg

eppem

Reaction score
Lots of 265 owners on this site - I have owned one since 2006 and have been very happy!

Little KaTuna

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
SkunkBoat said:
regarding posting pix...

google doesn't let you put links of your pix on forums.
Photobucket charges for it now.

get IMGUR account (http://www.imgur.com)

Choose the size you want. For the forum, small,medium or large is best depending on what you are posting. Original pix are sometimes giant and don't fit the forum screen.
small square looks good in your signature.

Use the BBcode "copy"
Just Paste (CTRL+V) it into your post

mDJXdbQ.jpg
Thank you for the help I will give it a try

Little KaTuna

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
aDed4BN.jpg
This is a picture of the starboard side motor corrosion, mid section needed all new internal components.The engine started up and sounded great so I thought I might get lucky. oh well 5,300 dollars later and I will have a new Yamaha short block power head to put on top of the new mid section :bang

Little KaTuna

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
SeaVee said:
I'm in the same boat (no pun intended) Just bought an 01 with 200 HPDI's. 480 hours on the entire rig! Boatel kept.. Currently cleaning/compounding hull and top sides, polishing fuel tomorrow (Aux tank hasn't been used in 13 years!) new trailer, soft goods, and maybe a new set of curtains. Fuel lines and senders to be replaced next, and that dag gone transom cap, gonna have to figure out a fix to seal it up until I can get the motors off to get it repaired right. Also going to have my mechanic go thru the motors, he's a HPDI guru so I'm lucky there.
Fuel bladder, huh? Wow you must have run. I don't think I'll ever need 250 gallons down here in VB.
Next stop, electronics and stereo, sh'e got some legacy electronics on her. It's only money!
I will be pulling both tanks to inspect and replace all the fuel lines and while I have the deck fuel lid up I need to recore it because it is definitely wet.I also have to fix a lot of gelcoat stress cracks a few below the waterline that the bottom paint conveniently covered up when I was looking the boat over. Now I have to strip all the bottom paint to thoroughly inspect it for my piece of mind oh well just more time I don't have to spare :bang .We usually travel 100 nautical miles out to the fishing grounds and troll for what seems like forever when we get there if we don't get any bites we like to travel a bit to find the fish. The fuel bladder comes in handy when we want to go the extra distance usually on the water for two days.Thank god for people like the ones on this site because guys like myself that don't know how to fix things can get help and advise it saves lots of money and headaches.