My First real bad weather incident

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just a quick story.

Fishing in my 204c Grady in here in NJ off the coast of LBI on Monday June 4th.
With 2 gentlemen in there late 70’s

Weather report was for partly cloudy skies with wnw winds 5-7mph. with building winds from the N after 11 am to 20 . seas 2-3ft. building to 4-5 through the afternoon Rain 30% chance and possible scattered thunderstorms. No craft warnings. So ,I figure we should be good till at least noon before the winds would chase us home.

We head out at 8:00 am and decide to run about 5 miles to a fluke fishing spot. Stayed there for about an hour. No success so we decided to move to a spot 3 miles offshore to a local reef. We find a spot on the reef with some awesome sea bass holding on a wreck and every drift we pull in 2-4 keepers.

Then we notice some dark clouds headed our way , we hang out as they pass. Just some rain so, no biggie. Then we continue fishing. Putting some nice ones in the box and enjoying some real good fishing. Calm seas and calm winds. We were completely oblivious to anything going on around us. Around 11:35 am I look over my shoulder and maybe 4 miles away all I see is dark black clouds covering the entire visible area to our North. No thunder, no lightning. It was headed right toward us. I grab my binocs and take a look. All I see is splashing white on the surface. I tell my crew to reel em in, drop there poles on the deck and get a pfd on. Were outta here. They look at me like I have 4 heads :huh . One of the guys say "Ah, its just some rain" it will go right over us. After some persuasion they do as I tell them but now this was almost on top of us , moving fast. They they realize this aint rain. I can now see circles forming in the clouds. (someone got a picture of a huge waterspout about 2 miles east of me)
By the time we got our safety stuff on we getting hit by 35+ wind gusts and then came the waves :jaw . Some had to be 7ft or higher and they were stacking. Just a sea of whitecaps. My finger ready to hit the radio emergency button the whole time. I am headed in at easy pace just barely on plane. Tabs up. Staying in the trough, trying to keep a 45 deg angle and zig zag to keep the waves from rolling me. Taking waves , some over the stb side rail and bow. Never was I more scared in my life. Combat zones did not even scare me this much. But, by the time we got to about 1/2 mile from our inlet (a trip that took 30 min and seemed like 6 hours) I started to be amazed how this boat was handling this. It really felt like I was driving a tank. The scuppers were doing their job and little to no water was collecting in the cockpit. Now, I am not so worried about the boat sinking but the motor stalling. It was really struggling to push us through the swells. I got into the inlet, the tide was outgoing hard due to the full moon cycle and that made it difficult to determine the correct approach.
So some more zig zag , South Noth, and I am in. :praise
As I watched other small boats trying to get in and the amount of water splashing over the bows,ect. I just could not help to have a kind of feeling of total security in my Grady. I will never doubt its ability again. Even due to its age. I will also never underestimate the power of the seas and weather again. The winds continued to blow 25-30 the rest of the day and we were glad to be out of that situation.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I very rarely, if ever , try and squeeze in a trip when bad weather/ high winds are forecast later in the day. You never know if your out a ways and you cant get the engine lit...or more likely; the forecast is wrong. Ever look outside and see it raining while the forecast is telling you what a beautiful day out ? Even on a good day they can be totally wrong. Glad your Grady got you back safely.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I know that inlet like the back of my hand, still surprises me sometimes. Glad to hear you made it back safely.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Wow...glad you are safe. The sea can turn on a dime for sure. I have had a weather incident or two in my old 192 and it was nerve racking but the boat handled it quite well. With our smaller Gradys we still need to pick our days.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I had a similar experience with my 204C back in 1979. When I had the boat up in Niantic CT, we would fish for stripers at night out in the Race area. So when we moved the boat to Tarpon Springs FL, I figured that fishing at night would be a great way to beat the heat. We headed out to a spot about 20 miles offshore at 5:00 PM. By 7:00 PM a line of thunderstorms had built up over the land and started to move west toward us. We tried to pick a hole in the line to run through and get back in, but there weren't any holes. The wind picked up to 40+ mph and lightening was popping all around us. It got so bad that all we could do was to turn into the waves and hang on. We tried anchoring up since we were only in about 25 ft of water, but the anchor line kept pulling the bow under the waves. So we powered back up and quartered the waves as best as we could. This went on for 4 hr before it calmed down enough to head for shore. We got back to the dock at 2:00 AM and everybody kissed the wood!

After that I understood why folks don't fish out in the Gulf much at night during the summer.

I have to say that the old style hard riding 204 hull earned a lot of respect that night.

bfrank

Reaction score
Doc Stressor said:
This went on for 4 hr before it calmed down enough to head for shore. We got back to the dock at 2:00 AM and everybody kissed the wood!

WHOA! :jaw I bet you were kissing land.

I understand it's been a long time but just in case you still remember I'm interested. How much anchor rope did you have out?

derx2

Reaction score
I have been in 35 mph winds in a 54 ft sailboat, I was not the captain but at the helm while under motor power. Even in a 'big' boat it was Not Fun!

As another owner of a G/W 204, I wanted to say, good job getting you and your crew back in to port in those conditions! Glad the boat handled it.

grady23

Reaction score
Glad you and your crew survived. PANIC KILLS --- You kept your head and used your skills well -- The boat did the rest. I'll bet the pucker factor was WELL OVER a 10. Good this was a lesson learned rather than 3 funerals.

chesapeake

Reaction score
bayrat said:
I very rarely, if ever , try and squeeze in a trip when bad weather/ high winds are forecast later in the day.

Agreed. Bad weather doesn't have a time table.

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have fished all over the place and been in all weather conditions. I was a commercial fisherman for years. A few years back when I was doing my masters I had the oppertunity to spend 70 days on a seismic collection vessel for the Canadian government. This is a photo of the class three 300ft Ice breaker in 50 ft seas off Greenland/Labrador/Newfoundland. I was one of 10 people that were not seasick...it lasted for 5 days....goes to show that the sea can be nasty...this was back in 2010 when I was 25....I learned to have a lot more respect for the sea that summer.

facebook_-1522264530jpg.jpg