My first season with my Sailfish--impressions

amr72

Reaction score
Well, I just had my last trip for the season and it was a good one. Stripers and blues and a beautiful day on the Atlantic. The next six months are going to go very slowly for sure.

Anyway, for those of you out there who may be interested here are my impressions of this boat after one season.

Ride-very good, but it takes practice. My trim indicator guages do not work and that makes it difficult to dial the ride in because the boat is sensitive to trim. I will get this fixed for next year as well as replacing the bennett trim switch with the indicator type. Overall the ride is very predictable. Great on the drift or the troll, above average in a following sea or beam sea and average in a head sea.

Fit and finish--for a 15 year old boat the fit and finish is very good, lot of small things need attention, but overall the boat has held up very well for its age.

Layout--Great for fishing. I especially like the notched transom with the massive splashwell gate as we do a lot of trolling and chunking and this style is really great for serious fishing. If I had to find a complaint, it would be that the helm is cramped, but this is the price of the deep walkaround. It's not a big deal for me as I am 5'9 150lbs so I am ok, but some of my "larger" friends can feel a bit cramped moving in between the captains chairs and to and from the helm.

Layout--pretty good for cruising. We spent lots of time swimming off the boat anchored at a place called Tices shoal. We also cruised around a lot as well. The boat doesn't have enough comfy seating for serious cruising and the optis are loud. The transom is better for fishing than entertaining. I think the boat is a fishing boat that cruises rather than the other way around, but it certainly didn't stop us from having loads of fun when we weren't fishing.

Cabin--hard to believe this is a 25 foot boat. They really did make great use of the available space and the cabin is great for a couple or a family with small kids like mine. An aft cabin on a 25 foot boat, are you kidding me? Try and find that anywhere else. I plan on adding a microwave and maybe airconditioning at some point, then it will really be like a floating condo.

Electrical--ouch. Really needs to be redone. It works, most of the time, but I don't know if I can get away with it for much longer. The main problem is that the system wasn't great to begin with in terms of organization and quality and then you have 15 years of added components and patchwork and you get a real mess. Anybody have an idea how much it would cost to have the boat rewired? I think I could probably do it myself, but I imagine it would take forever, and time is not something that I have alot to spare. I would love to have everything neat and labeled and be able to isolate my starting batteries from my house. Anyway this is an issue and has to be dealt with, but I am not sure what I am going to do right now.

Efficiency--I am averaging 1.7 to 1.8 nautical miles per gallon of gas with my optimaxes. This includes cruising, trolling, and usually a minute or two of WOT at the end of every trip. For a 6000lb rig with a cruising speed above twenty knots, I think that is pretty good. I was hoping for closer to 2.0, but my numbers are real world and involve things like 3 or 4 big guys, a 150kt cooler filled with ice, buckets of bait and tons of gear, so I guess I am doing pretty well. I know one thing the $3.40 I paid today sure was nicer than the $4.50 I paid this summer. I also talked to a guy who has a beutiful 1994 Sailfish with 1994 mercs and he is getting about 1.0, so maybe the efis would be a little better, but not as good as the optis. One thing that is really cool about these motors is that they really sip the opti oil, which is a good thing because it is crazy expensive. I figure I am getting about 70 to 1 instead of the 50 to 1, which means I hardly every have to add oil.

Overall--I love the boat. I don't think in 25 feet for a serious fisherman with a serious family you could do much better for your money. I think the seav2 hull and the repower are really important in terms of overall ownership experience and resale. I plan on little by little improving the boat as I think this model is worth it is in many ways a classic and will probably hold most of its value. For anyone thinking about a used boat for fishing, family, and affordability I think the 1993 to 2008 Grady White Sailfish is very hard to beat.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks for posting your real-world experiences with your boat. I had a '93 Sailfish (252g - bracket-mounted engines) for nearly 12 years, then bought the previously-owned '02 that I have now. Same boat, but has a Euro-transom and is 28', but it's otherwise the same from the bow to the cockpit. Pretty much the same cabin layout too, except they added a fridge and micro, and better factory wiring.

Speaking of wiring, if you don't have the time or inclination to do the job yourself, I'd find someone in your area who is experienced with quality marine re-wiring. Get a couple references, and try to see his work. The difference can be night and day, and you want the job done right. Grady White customer service may be able to recomment someone to you. Worth a call.

I'm not sure if trim-tab indicators are all that necessary. I added them to my '93, and although there's a certain 'cool' factor in having them, you can properly trim that boat with just a few momentary presses of the correct button. The boat responds to tabs quickly. Just remember to retract them.

Glad you had a great first season, and it sounds like you have her dialed in just right. Now lets all hope for an early Spring... :D

whitey

Reaction score
at first i thought you were the guy who bought my trophy pro.i told him about this site and his name is anthony ? guess it's not you.
anyway,i had alot of problems with the electrical end of my boat,i sent it over to a guy,had it all straightened out-had extra batteries installed,had the fuses at the helm replaced with circuit breakers-panels were made to fit.had it all done by a local guy,job was neat,clean and organized,only thing bad i could say was,it wasn't cheap-it was worth every dollar it cost.never had a dead battery again.
the new owner had the boat surveyed,surveyor commented on the wiring,and the fact the boat had 3 bilge pumps and a high water alarm,he was impressed with the quality of the work through out.surveyor couldn't believe the transom was replaced either.
"pm" me and i'll give you the guy's name and number,i'll give you the surveyor's name too.

the ride on the boat,tabs definatley help,i had larger tabs installed,they reduced the pounding alot.the boat is very trim sensative.as far as fuel economy is concerned,i had carb's yamaha's they were not too bad on fuel.the lay out,well,to be honest,the lay out was the best i've ever been on.the wide beam makes for a huge cockpit,4 guys were never crowded.i would still have my trophy pro if it wasn't for taking a ride in that albermarle 32 8) glad you had a good season and i'm glad you enjoy the purchase you made.

seasick

Reaction score
After some more practice, you will be able to sense the correct trim settings. The gauge is nice to look at but you could spend the money on something that will give you better bang for the buck.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had my first year with an 04 Sailfish and the only complaint I have is the the tightness of the helm area getting between the two chairs. I had a chance to get on a Chesapeake and they definitely improved the walk through space. That is about the only improvemt I could see with the boat. The cabin seems to be much smaller? Not sure why they would walk away from a proven model like the Sailfish

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The 290 is a bridge boat, IMHO, between a Marlin and Sailfish.

The 290 is heavier than the Sailfish by 900 lbs, but only 600 lbs below the Marlin.

The Sailfish is manufactured no more, guess what model is next for the chopping block ?

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
BobP said:
The 290 is a bridge boat, IMHO, between a Marlin and Sailfish.

The 290 is heavier than the Sailfish by 900 lbs, but only 600 lbs below the Marlin.

The Sailfish is manufactured no more, guess what model is next for the chopping block ?

I presume you are thinking "Marlin" is next? I hope not, and I asked the Grady factory guy at the Annapolis boat show if there were any rumblings of the Marlin being discontinued. I don't know if he knows anything or not, but he is the VP of Sales and Marketing, and he said that it will stay in production.

I guess that could mean that it will stay until they discontinue it :roll: , but that is what he told me. I hope he's right. I still like it better than the Chesapeake.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Capt. Bill - I'm with you, I promoted the "Save the Marlin" campaign with just a few supporters !

With the new Sailfish Chesapeake having a generator option, capable of Yamaha's V8s, a wider beam, and a mere 600 lb reach of the Marlin, where is the sense in keeping the similar walkaround Marlin, irrespective of Sales ?

The Marlin has always been the big brother of the Sailfish, not anymore.
And the 30 express is doing well enough as the express version, which already is spec'd higher in price (upscale) than the Marlin.

What didn't make sense to me was the 290 being a replacement for the Sailfish, on the contrary, it is much closer to a Marlin.

This continues in line with upscaling the product line in favor of bigger and bigger boat models (IMHO), with less (more affordable) smaller models to choose from. If affordability has a place any more in the Grady target market, not much to show for it.

I congratulate Grady on their success, so the master plan must be working well and continues on. The 290 has to succeed, Grady sealed it's fate success by not offering the Sailfish, so only one way to go - "upscale".

I retired the "Save the Marlin" campaign when I saw photos and specs of the 290 some time ago, first the specs indicated it was within 50 lbs of a Sailfish - which didn't make sense, then the weight went way up to near Marlin displacement, a neat hat trick. Now a Marlin Chesapeake walkround, as I call it.

Need I say too, what model will be in Greenville's crosshairs after the Marlin?

My season will be ending in a few more weeks, as another enjoyable season with my 252, a heck of a boat for just 25 feet, continues to impress me.

This season ending as a tribute to the legendary Sailfish, too bad so few members were old enough to be around to see the beginning of the offshore capable dual outboard wide beam market take off on the gunnels of the venerable Grady Sailfish.

The only meaningfull changes in all those years was not in the boat but in motor technology. She was a keeper from day one.

I'll miss seeing her at the shows, some 25 yrs or so it has been.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Where was your boat? I was in Beaverdam creek (the other side of the Metedekonk). The family likes Tices shoal, I just wished there was a closer option for me (20 miles each way). Next year I'm probably going to be in the Manasquan or Shark river, the ride back in from the Ocean takes too long where I'm at now. I'll be in for another week, but April seems far off. :(

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am a charter member of the Save The Marlin campaign. David Neese assured me the 300 will stay and that it outsells the 305. The 290 is a bit of a mystery but I believe GW was trying to address the seat spacing and desire for a genset.

richmake

Reaction score
One of the biggest blunders from my point of view was getting rid of the 265 express.
What Grady needs to do is do what alot of other companies in their class have done lately...fish boxes below deck.
I had a look at the 305 Robalo last year and would have a hard time not leaning towards one for that reason alone.
It had an easily accessible genset as well...
Anyway's...I personally don't think that the 29 Chesapeeke brought anything exciting to the table....

ahill

Reaction score
I agree with fish boxes below deck. Keep the above deck for storage. My 250 Mako had 2 cavernous boxes in deck with long lids. ez to put big fish in. I miss them on my 272

amr72

Reaction score
Grog, my boat is in Forked River, about 2 miles from Tices :) .

Having had in deck fish boxes and now the above deck on my 255 I prefer the above deck. The in deck ones can have draining issues, macerator pumps that can fail, and collect rain water.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
MegaB, on Neese, was that before or after the 290?
Both walkarounds, 600 lb difference ??
The 290 and Marlin, how much more similar can any two Gradys be?

Before, it was the 30 express of concern, much different layout.

With the 290 out, I'm starting the "Save the Gulfstream" campaign, a bit early though.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
BobP..

Don't tell me they're even THINKING about discontinuing the Gulfstream.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Capt B, you ought to know me by now ! I'm backed up eitht way sto Sunday (whatever that means!)

I have a sheet of paper with two lists on them, one of existing models discontinued and one of new models added, for the last 15 yrs or so.

With the exception of the forey into cats, it's pretty clear to me what the the list represents is going on with the product line and respective intended target customer base, IMHO.

Now that the Sailfish is gone with no fan fare, as well, it just reinforces my view into solid bedrock.

For good or bad, the model line history is a fact, no opinions there, others may read it differently of course.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bob, I was completely surprised by the 290 and had heard nothing in advance about replacing the 282. My gut feeling based on discussions with GW folks at shows, email, and phone is that they wanted to address some Sailfish issues brought to them by customers. The two that come to mind are the helm seat tightness and the lack of a genset.

The fact that the boat wound up so close to a 300 is somewhat of a surprise. I honestly have no idea how they plan to position the two boats but believe me - I WILL be asking. :lol:

Also the fact that they introduced a new w/a when all the trends have been to express models is interesting...

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
MegaB, forgive me for being brutaly direct, I can't help myself. I see it written on the wall.

I'll work over the factory guys at the New York Show in a few months about the loss of the 282, and what's next to go/come?

Then I'll try to strong arm the Yamaha factory guy on the new 200 light weight 4 stroke I read rumor of. The Yamaha guys have always been tight lipped, the Grady factory guys tend to ignore my direct questions and just smile, they are well trained gents!