My freshwater pump keeps going buuuurrrrrrpp!

Gary M

Reaction score
2001 Marlin and the freshwater pump will come on when I flick the switch over to pressurize the system and then every few minutes it will come back on again. This probably means a leak somewhere. The pump itself is mounted behind a wall in the mid berth and opposite to that wall is a Y-Valve that I can check for leaks. We found loose hoses clamps in both areas a few years ago and that will be my first stop.

I have 4 water outlets and I've pretty much ensured that none of them are leaking too. Any other ideas or suggestions on where to look or trouble-shoot? Yes, the tank is full......

Thanks!

georgemjr

Reaction score
It sounds like your on the right track. I found loose clamps and drips under my bathroom fawcett, my sink fawcett, by the pump itself, and then finally, the last one for now, at the hot water heater. The pump only comes on when I run water now. I couldn't believe the fact that there were so many spots, but am happy as a clam that I found them all. I sleep easier at night without a pump going on every 5 minutes.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Pretty normal for my pump. The pressure relief valve cuts the pump, then turns on for short bursts as the pressure bleeds off. Others may be different ... :wink:

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
yup... loose hose clamps. I've had one pop off under the galley sink and another one under the head sink. The head sink gave me a pre-warning by doing exactly as you stated.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had a few loose ones too. One was behind a screwed in panal in the aft section on the stbd side. Others were right at the pump. Im getting a new buuurrp now but that was an easy find. The faucet at the rigging station is leaking and has to be replaced.

'05 300 Marlin F250's

Jeff Mauro

Reaction score
I have had the plastic Tee connectors crack located by the hot water heater on my 2003 Sailfish

ahill

Reaction score
Had the same problem on my '98 Sailfish. After doing all the obvious it turned out to be the cockpit shower (Thanks Sling).
I found out by noticing water in my battery tray. Bad thing about Scandvik shower head is there doesn't appear to be a way to take it apart and put in new seals.
Maybe a CLR treatment would help.

reelserious

Reaction score
I don't know if it is the same cockpit shower head as on my 2000 Sailfish, but I take mine apart every season to clean, lube and stretch the spring out so the on/off button doesn't stick open. I use a bottle opener (aka church-key) to unscrew the sprayhead. The flat end fits the slot perfectly.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Check the feeds to all your faucets. The galley sink was lose and wouldn't hold. You could use a couple of different hose diameters, so I intalled a brass reducer and used the smaller hose. Not sure why this wasn't done by the factory, but did the trick. Remember to use reinforced hoses if you replace any.

ahill

Reaction score
reelserious said:
I don't know if it is the same cockpit shower head as on my 2000 Sailfish, but I take mine apart every season to clean, lube and stretch the spring out so the on/off button doesn't stick open. I use a bottle opener (aka church-key) to unscrew the sprayhead. The flat end fits the slot perfectly.

I can take the cover off but the seal is in the brass fitting that is activated by the push button. It has a cast in nut on it that when turned turns the pushbutton as well with no apparent way to secure to it to dismantle.
What's your experience with that?

reelserious

Reaction score
ahill said:
reelserious said:

I can take the cover off but the seal is in the brass fitting that is activated by the push button. It has a cast in nut on it that when turned turns the pushbutton as well with no apparent way to secure to it to dismantle.
What's your experience with that?

I have never had that problem. I was always able to just unscrew that bolt using small adjustable pliers.

Hoghunter

Reaction score
Pump running when not asked is always an air leak which allows the system to lose pressure. I have on 07 305 Express and have had several times the pump will start cycling. Every time this happens I always find a lose hose connection etc. One time I found a hairline crack in the filter right by the pump.

Last time I had problems I just went through the whole system and tightened every hose clamp there was. There's lot's of them and it's a PITA to find and access them all but haven't had any problems since then.