My gas tank has a leak

PatrickK

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Hey guys I have a 1987 206G overnighter and my gas tank has a leak at the very bottom. I’m here in Miami Florida and I wanna know where can I get another tank or is it best to have that tank welded. Also, the wood panel at the back towards the motor that holds the tank in place is soft. So, what’s the recommendation to replace that wood panel with.

NHAngler

Reaction score
Have never done this before but have looked into it for someone. The amount of work it may be to remove the tank would certainly warrant a new tank for sure. If you have soft wood, you likely have more going on there do deal with than just a tank. If you love the boat and it is worth it to you, pull the tank and make an assessment of how much you will have to replace. Besides the tank, the cost of supplies is not the most expensive part, rather it is the amount of labor involved. Good luck.

Vlabruzzo

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
Just changed my tank on my 86 tournament. Probably 1200 in parts and 20 hours all said amd done.

Attachments

• 20200705_091838.jpg
    20200705_091838.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 20200704_151214.jpg
    20200704_151214.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 20
Reactions: leeccoll

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Patrick,
You will want to replace the tank with a new aluminum. If it's leaking, then trying a band aid fix isn't a good long term solution.
The soft wood on the bulkhead probably means the deck plate above is leaking.
I'm not familiar with your model, but you should encase the new bulkhead with marine grade plywood with fiberglass mat wetted down with epoxy to waterproof it.
As far as fixing the leaking deck plate, there are many posts on here to help with that. I fixed both of mine 4 years ago. My new aluminum tank is dry as a bone.
My 90 gallon tank cost me $900 plus shipping. Grady White customer service will email you the dimensions sketch of the tank for your fabricator should you decide to build a new tank.
Good luck, lemme know if there's anything else...
Lee

Last edited: