My Grady 226 has dry wood termites

SirGrady226

Reaction score
Found some wings in the cabin of my 226 and had them looked at by an exterminator, turns out I have dry wood termites eating my cabin storage covers, teak shelf unit, and who knows what else. Tenting the boat quotes are 1300.00 and 1122.00, which I believe is ridiculous! Hoping someone can come up with a better answer, o_O besides lighting a match to it. :p

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
There are lots of do-it-yourself spot treatments for dry wood termites. Getting a boat fumigated is overkill.

Here is one source:

Dry Wood Termite Treatments

The best way to get rid of them is to remove and replace the infested wood parts. I hope they didn't get into your transom or stringers.

SirGrady226

Reaction score
There are lots of do-it-yourself spot treatments for dry wood termites. Getting a boat fumigated is overkill.

Here is one source:

Dry Wood Termite Treatments

The best way to get rid of them is to remove and replace the infested wood parts. I hope they didn't get into your transom or stringers.
Hard to say, but better to be safe than sorry.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Ok, you could go the natural route here and do these things. You could release chickens, red headed woodpeckers or starlings, Swift's or Weaver birds into your cabin. You could go with frogs, geckos or spiders or bring in the big guns of ardvarks, echidnas or anteaters. You might want to remove your cushions in using any of these biological strategies. Lol

I would get the wood pieces out and you could fumigate those yourself in trash bags . You could pull the gas tank lid and if you have a smaller freshwater compartment deck panel like I do and look for signs of infestation in the bilge. I saw a boat in a marina in the Keys getting tented. I can only imagine. Good luck.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You really only need to tent and fumigate for subterranean termites, which would never be a problem on a boat unless it was sitting on blocks. These guys nest underground and make mud tubes up to the wood they are feeding on. Dry wood termites typically have smaller nests and they are right in the wood where you see their holes. Remove the bad wood, use poison bait to get any of the ones that you missed and you're done with them.

SirGrady226

Reaction score
You really only need to tent and fumigate for subterranean termites, which would never be a problem on a boat unless it was sitting on blocks. These guys nest underground and make mud tubes up to the wood they are feeding on. Dry wood termites typically have smaller nests and they are right in the wood where you see their holes. Remove the bad wood, use poison bait to get any of the ones that you missed and you're done with them.
I had the boat inspected by two exterminator companies, both said the wings found are from dry wood termites, no sign of subterranean and the boat has always been on its trailer. The person I purchased the boat from lived in a heavily wooded area, and the exterminator says these swarm every two years. So these termites were present before purchase. I will most likely have it tented no matter what, they say it stays on for a full three days.

SirGrady226

Reaction score
I ended up purchasing the foaming spray and going over the obvious areas that had been infested, mostly the cabin storage covers, and shelf unit that are made of laminated plywood. But just to go the extra mile, I purchased two boxes of the Raid fumigator cartridges that you activate with water. They produce a smoke that gets into all the nooks and crannies. Each box has (3) canisters and good for 2600 sf, so (6) canisters should of really made sure no bugs remain. I kept it tented for 2 days, should of solved the problem. If I see any more signs of them, it will have to be professionally done.

Reactions: leeccoll

ttles714

Reaction score
Ok ... so maybe this fits or helps, maybe it doesn't !! ... When I winterize the boat , I have it shrink wrapped as many people do .... I leave about 6-8 cut and open half gallon containers of white vinegar all over .. in head .. cabin.. refrig.. bilge in the cabin and the cockpit .. I've been doing this for years ... It kills mold and any kind of insect the breathes air !!! When I open the boat in the spring, I vacuum dead bugs. The smell goes away in less than a day .

Reactions: SirGrady226