My Hot Water is too Hot!

HMBJack

Reaction score
Greetings,

On my 2003 265, I have the standard issue 6 gallon Kuuma AC water heater. Problem is, the thing spits out scolding hot water! Have any of you experienced this? And what do you do? I can mix cold with hot but for the uninformed, this is a scolding waiting to happen.

I see in West Marine, there is some kind of "Temperature Control Valve" for $40 which "regulates coolant flow through the exchanger to maintain potable water at a safe 140 degrees." It's made by Kuuma (W/M PN 9317280) so maybe they got calls about this. I think this is what I need but am curious what you may have done. Thank-you. - Jack

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There should be a thermostat for the heater somewhere.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Oops (from Defender):

All Kuuma 120V AC corrosion-resistant Water Heaters have

Aluminum tanks and aluminum alloy casings.
A 7/8" heat exchanger for more efficient heat control through increased surface area
Ignition-protected controls
High temperature / high pressure valve installed.
When the Water Heater is operating from the AC Power, water temperature in the tank is regulated at 140 deg F (60 deg C). The thermostat is non-adjustable.

Warning: This unit is not equipped with a Temperature Control Valve. When the Water Heater is operating from the Heat Exchanger, water temperature in the tank will approach the temperature of the engine coolant.

It has a thermostat but unless you feel up to it and change it out you're stuck with delaling with it or getting the mixing valve.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Thanks. My water feels like I could make soup with it right out of the tap.

Maybe the best thing is to leave it as is since, I typically do not expect to use the hot water until the end of a day's fishing (washing face and hands) at which time it should be less hot since it was away from the AC for 8 or more hours.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Good thing to know, have not used my hot water heater and do not see it being used any time soon, but good incase I do turn it on incase I transient somewhere else for a few nights. My marina has nice big showers so no need to sue the boats, and they are building new bigger bathrooms and showers so now even less reason to sue the one on the boat. Still nice to have the heads up it might be a bit hotter then expected.