My latest problem...

christo15

Reaction score
Hey guys,

On my 282 Sailfish I've had a problem with my batteries this season. Here's what's going on:

1. Even when plugged into shore power, the batteries will die on me after a few hours.
2. When facing the stern, my left motor will always come up slower then the right after playing the stereo or running the fridge without the motor running.
3. When I either put my motors up or start the boat, my navigation and stereo will turn off and come back on.

What do you guys think the problem is? It's driving me crazy, especially since the batteries aren't even two seasons old and we professionally installed??

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Have batteries tested to rule out a shorted battery.
Ensure all terminals are clean and tight. If you can twist the terminal with relative ease using a pair of pliers, they are loose enough to get some corrosion and make a weak connection.
Check connection from battery to circuit breaker. Mine were loose once a while back and was having some similar symptoms as you.

christo15

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! But you do you check if the charger is good?
The weird thing is that by looking at the charger it looks like
it doesn't work (no light on and amp gauge isn't responding) but when our batteries died at one point and we left it plugged in and the charger in they were fully charger when we got back the week after.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
When I plug up my charger, I turn on the keys to Yamaha gauges and check voltage. They move upwards of 14 volts when charging. 13.5 + usually.
Also, use a multi tester on batteries before you plug up. Should be 12+ volts, then plug up charger with voltmeter connected and watch the voltage start to climb upwards of 13+ volts and you will know if the charger is working or not.

Once fully charged, turn off charger and voltage on batteries should fall from 13+ down to normal somewhere around 12.5 or so volts....+ or - .3 volts for a good battery. Of course 12.8 being the best and 12.2 being questionable for that battery being able to hold it's voltage.