My new 1986 Grady 226 seafarer (wow what did I get myself into)

Qutwrkgofsh

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hi everyone I'm the new proud owner of a 1986 Grady White seafarer 226. The plane was to repower it and start fishing lake Erie out of it before the summer was over, but as you all know not much goes as planed. After I got it home and pulled the motor I realized I've a big project ahead of me. Looks like I'll be doing some transom repair and probably make it a full-height transom with offshore bracket and most likely pull the fuel tank and replace that too. I'd post pictures but I have to figure out how it says they are to large.

Reactions: UCPA111

seasick

Reaction score
If you took the photos with a phone, send them as attachments to yourself in an email. When you send it should ask how you want send the photo (size wise). Pick something on the small side. When you open that email save the attachments. They will now be smaller files and you should be able to upload them to the forum.

Pez Vela

Reaction score
If your .jpg files are on a Mac, open them in Preview and use the dropdown menu: Tools/Adjust size, and select Custom: 1280 x 1024 or smaller.

If your boat wasn't designed for a bracket, I'd stay away from that option. They're terrible for fishing and dunk your motor when coming off plane. Did I say I hate brackets?

UCPA111

Reaction score
Sounds like a familiar project. PM me if you have questions. I did this in 2017 to a 1984 model. Fuel tank, fuel lines, wiring, transom (made full height), bracket, motor, controls, steering, etc....etc. I have videos if you want to see them. Where at on Lake Erie? I run out of Erie PA.

20190803_155025.jpgGood luck!

Reactions: Qutwrkgofsh

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Well, from one paperweight purchaser to another, welcome!! Lol

Seriously, it will all be worth it:) post the photos and guaranteed these guys will point you in the direction of good repairs and fast waters!

Qutwrkgofsh

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sounds like a familiar project. PM me if you have questions. I did this in 2017 to a 1984 model. Fuel tank, fuel lines, wiring, transom (made full height), bracket, motor, controls, steering, etc....etc. I have videos if you want to see them. Where at on Lake Erie? I run out of Erie PA.

View attachment 8337Good luck!
Yep I have watched your videos on YouTube a couple of times now. And they have inspired me to do similar modifications to my boat

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good luck on your project. Keep us updated with pics on your progress.

I've been fishing out of Lakeside-Marblehead and Catawba. Haven't had the 228 on Erie yet, been fishing with a buddy in his Tracker Targa 20'. Been a few times I was wishing I was on my 228 when the wind/waves get up.

SirGrady226

Reaction score
Glad to see another older Seafarer brought back to its glory, I really like mine as a very versatile platform. I'm looking forward to a repower down the road since these old Johnson 140 loopers are very thirsty. I love the performance and they have been problem free, but you can easily burn 50+ gallons of fuel spending the day trolling and traveling around. I've learned to find my spots and do more drifting, works much better for keeping the wallet from being emptied. 20180909_124231_1536526795276.jpg