My New Old Grady

chumlee

Reaction score
Was looking at other boats, came across a few grady's locally that were all saltwater boats and was about to buy one that needed some work - then came across this Offshore 24 (1990) up on the great lakes, Never seen salt. super low hrs. flew up to see it and looked better than in the pics - Clean as a whistle, After I did my survey, I just looked at the previous owner and said "SOLD" (my little guy in the pic's was a hit up in NY with his RED SOX attire)
If anyone has a Hardtop for one of these I'm an interested buyer.

I'm now a Grady owner.

GW1%20PS.jpg

GW1%20SF.jpg

richie rich

Reaction score
Chumlee, nice job...looks very clean....and the MA registration will look good on the side of the boat too :wink:

Will you be trailering her to the Deverouex Beach launch or keep her at a mooring on the West Side?

chumlee

Reaction score
Riverhead Beach is the launch ramp, Not Devereux
You obviously know the area. I live 1/2 mi from the ramp and have a mooring and family dock even closer in the harbor.
It will make two trips to and fro the ramp since I have to throw her in to get a scum line to strike the waterline. then out for a coat of bottom paint.
Probably put it over in Salem at pickering wharf for a few days - will create a scum line quick there!

Average Joe

Reaction score
Very nice. It is amazing when you go inland and look at older boats. If they have been taken care of they just don't age nearly as fast as coastal boats.
Enjoy your summer. 8)

richie rich

Reaction score
Didn't know the other side where the launch was actually named Riverhead.....nice to be that close to the main harbor...I have a mooring on the west shore as well.....The Salem side is not that bad...well, maybe near the powerplant!
Looks like you'll have her ready for the striper run this summer.

chumlee

Reaction score
Charlie Moore is no challenge ! I can usually leave the dock at 5:30 am and be back by 9:30 with a rat (Rat = under 73" bluefin) however I think there will be more greater than 73" this year.

Reel Sharp

Reaction score
Great looking boat! What a nice packaged ride. I also have an off shore pro and I admire your windlass. Could someone point me in the direction for a windlass?
You must be excited, welcome to Gradyland!!!!

Lew

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi I am also a new grady owner from Marblehead. Launched yesterday at the EYC, I am a CYC member and have been a sailboat guy most of my life. I bought a 1997 voyager up in Portland Maine late last fall and stored it there thiw winter. I have a mooring off the Barnacle. I intend to do mostly day trips with my dw an maybe some whale watches. I am not much into fishing. I am pretty excited about the boat.

Lew

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
No wonder I could not find your boat. When I would drive across the causeway to the club I would look over to see if you were in and wouldnt spot her. Wonderful disguise. looks really sharp. Has it changed the ride at all ? Lew :dance

chumlee

Reaction score
Lew,
It's sitting on the mooring in front of the dock - in disguise. I actually think it has improved the ride a little bit.
Had Redman's do the top/enclosure when I came out in late Nov. I had it back in my shop just after xmas to add all the bells and whistles The top w/ frame weighed less than 150lbs before I added everything on the top, weight of it is probably around 200-225lbs with the xtras. My top speed last season without the top was 40kts, I put in 3 weeks ago and with 2 of us (225lb+ guys) and a full load of fuel - 150gal she did exactly 40.2 kts, so no loss of speed. It actually feels like it stiffened her up a bit. put 70+mi on her last weekend and rode some 3-4 footers out of the east home from 27mi out - no movement of the top - solid as a rock.
This top was built a lot heavier than a top Redman would build for a recreational boat, built so I can hoist a 800lb giant into it, cost a bit more too but a couple good fish will cover the cost. I had my ideas on a design, and they had theirs, they sent me a pic when the frame was built and I was not happy. was not the design I had in mind so I drove up to maine moments after I got the pic.We picked up the frame and put it on the boat and after listening to them explain why it was done this way I had to agree with them.
Feels like a new boat. funny you didn't recognize it, had two other friends say - You got a new boat ?
The quality of redmans work is second to none in my book.
I couldn't be happier - so far.

Attachments

• 2011 1svst.jpg
    2011 1svst.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 7,037

Lew

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Really nice job ! I am sure you will be happy with the boat for a long time. So one of the benifits of the hard top I didnt know about until I saw a Grady gulfstream in M'head harbor do it is using the top as a diving platform. My grandkids can climb up the aluminum sides (almost like a step ladder) and then they jump or dive off the top. I did once myself. Not sure it is great for the hard top but they had a good time. Where is Redmonds located in Maine and how did you know about them doing Gradys (pretty smart of you to check the drawings and do a re-design). Was the major reason that you converted have to do with quiteness, ware and tare and the ability to carry something on top ? I was in May 4th and have put about 90 miles and 15 hours on her. I spent 5 hours watching some sail boat races two days ago and used the 9.9 kicker most of the time. It is a little quiter(4 stroke) and a lot better on gas. I can go about as fast as the sailboats (6knots ) with the 9.9. It is the first time I used it for any length of time. It was pretty good. I guess the previous owner used it for trolling.
Your tan back curtain looks very sharp -It looks better that the blue IMHO.
When you came back from way offshore in the big seas how did you drive the boat ? Speed ? engine tilt ? trim tabs? Did you get any spray above the windshield ? Lew :goodjob

chumlee

Reaction score
Not a diving platform for me - that how ya get hurt!
Redman is in York Me. They do everything and a lot of Grady's http://www.redmanmarinefabricators.com/
Main reason for my top was for the outriggers, radar and most of all to be able to haul big fish over the rail. Wasn't easy for us old guys deadlifting 300lb fish over the rails last year
drove back 22-24kts trimmed out for the conditions and no spray above the hull. was a nice dry (in the rain) bumpy ride home.

todd0915

Reaction score
chumlee ,i aiso have a 208 and would love a hard top.just finished my 97 and it's looking good.between the new f200 and the interior need the hard top.how much$ with curtains.thanks,Todd

LatishaWalter

Reaction score
chumlee said:
Was looking at other boats, came across a few grady's locally that were all saltwater boats and was about to buy one that needed some work - then came across this Offshore 24 (1990) up on the great lakes, Never seen salt. super low hrs. flew up to see it and looked better than in the pics - Clean as a whistle, After I did my survey, I just looked at the previous owner and said "SOLD" (my little guy in the pic's was a hit up in NY with his RED SOX attire)
If anyone has a Hardtop for one of these I'm an interested buyer.

I'm now a Grady owner.

GW1%20PS.jpg

GW1%20SF.jpg
This one looks great! I'm glad for you, I'm planning to purchase this model as well.
I've already thought it over and I guess this is the best option for me.

Jimmy Mac

Reaction score
Good luck with your boat. I have a 1986 hull and a recent I/O mercruiser. My boat has a hardtop and I got a great deal on it from Atlantic Hardtops (or something like that). I called them before the NY boat show and they asked me if they could use my hardtop for their display at the show. In exchange they would give me a very competitive price, of course I said yes. It was night and day with the new top and worth the money.

Reaction score
I would have to say that is one of the sweetest tops i have seen on a Grady. A++