My new ride

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
:D 2001 180 Sportsman, soon to be repowered with a 2006 Yamaha F150.

100_8277.jpg

Been looking for a while and finally found the right deal!

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Heavy Duty said:
Nice...and just the right size for running around in the sounds and getting into thin water for flounder. Nice.

HD

Thanks. Trying to decide whether to bring it north to Manteo or keep it here in FL. I have my Islander up there already.

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
I hear you. The Islander (just like my Overnighter) is a bit tricky though when it comes to skinny water.

Last October I grounded the Overnighter just outside of the channel that runs by Duck Island there in the Roanoke sound. The fish finder was going nuts so I told my fishing buddy that we would pull about 25 yards out of the channel and throw our baits back into the channel. So I shutdown the yamie and raised it up and slowly went in on my little trolling motor. While I was watching up front my fishing buddy ask how deep the water suppose to be. I told him that according to the charts about 3'. He said he was looking at about 6-12". I look over the side and sure enough...VERY skinny water. Depth sounder showed 3'. Ran back to the little troller and she was kicking all kinds of silt. Looked like a dredging operation. Took about an hour to get her off the sand. Tried poling off first..no luck. Ended up having to get out and push. In the mean time had a nice sport fisher go by and everyone was looking and pointing at us. Oh well, live and learn. OBTW, there was 3’ of water were the transducer was setting. Found it while pushing and we were maybe 25' from the channel.

HD

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yep, I'll only run through the shortcut to OI if I'm following a big sportfisher the first time then I leave the track in my GPS for subsequent trips. Same routine every year. For this year, I think I'll drag the Sportsman around FL - Keys, west coast, etc. then next year swap out and have the Islander for trips to the Bahamas.

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
Greg B said:
Yep, I'll only run through the shortcut to OI if I'm following a big sportfisher the first time then I leave the track in my GPS for subsequent trips. Same routine every year. For this year, I think I'll drag the Sportsman around FL - Keys, west coast, etc. then next year swap out and have the Islander for trips to the Bahamas.

Let me know when you are going to be up this way. Maybe we can do a buddy-boat trip.

HD

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Potterbuilt said:
Nice Boat Greg!! Too bad you all aren't joining us for the Bahamas trip!! Next Time!! Cheers!!

It would be an adventure on the Sportsman. Next year if the boat is back down.

HD - we're usually at Pirates Cove from late June to mid July.

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
Greg B said:
Potterbuilt said:
Nice Boat Greg!! Too bad you all aren't joining us for the Bahamas trip!! Next Time!! Cheers!!

HD - we're usually at Pirates Cove from late June to mid July.

Great. I usually launch at the boat ramp at the base of the US 64 bridge just on the other side from Pirates Cove.

HD

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
Greg B said:
:D 2001 180 Sportsman, soon to be repowered with a 2006 Yamaha F150.

Been looking for a while and finally found the right deal!

Very nice looking ride.. How did she price compared to book values..?? And was the engine it came D.O.A.?

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
NIGHTIDES said:
Very nice looking ride.. How did she price compared to book values..?? And was the engine it came D.O.A.?

It was a distress sale, so it was well below NADA. Engine is good, just wanted a 4 stroke and with a little horse trading, the upgrade to a used F150 with warranty will be around $2k.

tibeachguy

Reaction score
Greg,
That is a great looking boat. I'm the one you been discussing the bimini with. I see your bimini frame in the picture. Have you checked to see how much new canvas would be?

capeguy

Reaction score
Very nice, congrats! I have a 99 with the 130HP 2 Stroke. Great combination, with the 150 its a rocket ship!!

You will love this boat.

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks, worked a good deal for the F150 and my son really hates 2-stroke smoke so if this gets him out more then great. I put a Suzuki 300 on the Islander last year and it was enjoyed a lot more.

Probably won't be done next weekend so it will probably be sometime the following week before I can splash.

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
Looks great! More than enough for the dolphin run!
Don't rule out the Bahamas this summer, when the winds calm down its a short ride.

I'm heading over a couple times again, never with less than 2 other boats though.

Did Salyer's do your engine swap? Great guys there.