My new to me 1993 Gulfstream

batastj

Hello. Well I traded up and sold the first boat I ever owned and only for the last five years. I sold the 1988 19 tournament with. 1996 Johnson ocean runner 175 hp. What a great first boat. I traveled roughly fifty five hundred miles (according tot the GPS) on that boat. Lots of fishing. But the north east winters and my age called me to upgrade.

1993 Grady white gulfstream with a 2002 Yamaha hopefully corrosion free 225 four stroke with 1300 hundred hours. Boat has all cushns. Everything works but the kitchen sink. Have not figured that out yet. Typical,spider cracks on the transom lids, soft spot on the gas tank cover and off course not one cup holder on the hole boat...

Has full enclosure with hard top. A 160c garmin that stinks and a 530s that does not seem to have sonar??? :huh A clarion radio and west marine VHF with a beat up antenna. No radar yet. Not windlass yet. Has a swim platform and so far an empty bracket.

The inside is in great shape but the Porto potty stinks like cat pee...any suggestions.

The engine seems ok. I did not want two engines although I expect to take it out about 60 miles on the right day of course. Been towed back from the canyons twice and neither had to do with bad engines. I can stay on plane at 4100 rpm with 9.5 Gph and cruse about 21 mph. At 5000 rpm I think I was at 13 GPS at around 27 mph. She does not beyond 5700. And I don't know the prop size.

Here is the plan
Lowrance hds 8 with structure scan
7 inch tv
New VHF antenna (any suggestions)
Maybe 4g radar
Need a trailer for mostly storage
New Yamaha 300hp v6. (Not for a couple of years though)
Cover the spider cracks (any suggestions)
Led lights under the gunnels (one that changes colors of course...like pimp my boat)
A manual roof mount Unity Spotlight like the cops have of th side of the cars but a roof mount (anyone have any success worth that set up)
Windlass (the first thing...any suggestions)
How bout a cockpit light also

I have read every post with the word Grady in it. Great forum. As for the suggestions, I have seen the topics but am looking for some fresher ideas. Trying to determine the best prop size is confusing. I mostly fishin the bay and out 30 miles. I prefer speed over hole shot. I am kind of fat so getting going is never a big deal. :wow

So I love this boat. I can run it myself. I am getting used tot the bracketed engine. Takes a while. Scared the carp out of me when I saw how low the engine sits in the water at around 15 miles an hours...

I place some led battery operated dome lights in the cabin and helm area. Works great. Having an issues with a battery drain on the #2 accessory battery. Any ideas.

Had the boat surfed and engine checked. Has 2012 new fuel lines and the tanks reconditioned because they hung the 2002 Yamaha in the beginning of this year. Newer enclosure. Horn even works as well,as the wiper. Of course the engine level reader does not work.

I love this boat and the bigger beam is great for me. Thanks for reading. Let me know if there are other upgrades you would do... :D

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Congratulations on the Gulfstream, and some upgrade it is from the 18 footer. Without exception every Gulfstream owner here likes theirs.

Read some of the posts, like the recent one on a new Windlass on Brian's Islander, seems to be a most popular unit these days.

Plenty of projects and "modernizations" to do, $$ to spend. And you may want to replace the potti and start new. Look forward to the V6 F300 with the electronic controls down the road.

The soft tank cover is an easy DIYer, to be found how-to in posts here.

Good luck !

Off doody

I had a 1993 Gulfstream and re-powered it with a 250 Yamaha in 2005. It was a great boat and the stern also sat low in the water due to the engine weight. It was a great boat for me I upgraded this year to a 28' sailfish. I still keep in touch with the current owner and he loves it. The transom extension engine mount does require some getting used to maneuvering in tight areas. It took me a long time to get used to it. It's a great boat and good luck with it.