My newly re-covered cockpit bolsters!

Gary M

Reaction score
My Marlin has the built-in rear seat cushion which is very tricky to re-cover. Also, the port side bolster is one, elongated "L" shaped cushion making it tricky as well. If they don't get that corner stitched perfectly, it won't turn out well. I had one canvas shop turn me away when I brought them my seat back cushion from my old Sailfish!

At ten years old and still the original pieces, it was more than time to send them out for re-covering. I used Tip Top Canvas & Upholstery in south Ft Lauderdale as they had done very good quality work on my retractable aft Bimini about 5 years ago. They sent a guy out and the pieces were quickly popped off. Each panel is mounted on simple metal hangers and except for the back rest, each has two screws that go in through small grommet holes in the bottom of the cushions and screw right into the fiberglass, Here, you can see the hangers and the two small screw holes. The slide track on top of the gunnel is for my retractable aft Bimini.......

001-1.jpg

Getting ready to re-hang the elongated "L" shaped piece on the port side. When re-mounting, the screw holes did not quite line up with the old holes but it was a quick fix to tap new holes for the screws. I held the panels down firmly while the guy installed the screws.

003-1.jpg

The new transom door and starboard panels...... quality work.

009.jpg

The back rest was super easy to pop off and the re-install as it also has a set of hangers and it's then held down with just two snaps! So much easier than my 1994 Sailfish back rest panel that needed wing nuts to be unscrewed from up inside the bilge area and also by taking a cupholder out and forcing my arm down into the hole.... I still have the scars on my arm from that debacle! Some more quality work here.......

006-2.jpg

Look how nice this corner stitching came out and how snug it fits into the corner!

007-1.jpg

The seat cushion is stored inside so it did not need re-covering but I wisely sent it in with the other panels to help them try to match the color and style as close as they could and it came out about half a shade different which will probably not even be noticed. The photos look like they are "white" but they are a light cream colored.

I'm 100% satisfied and could not be happier! If you are in South Florida and want excellent Quality work done, call Tip Top and ask for "Brett". Because I'm a repeat customer, Brett gave me his best price which was all four panels, picked up and installed for $600.

http://tiptopcanvas.com/

Lew

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Nice job ! Always fun to make imnprovemnets to the "good old boat" . Lew :dance

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Great looking. Mine are just starting to show age wrinkles and cracks. What did the installer recommend for care and maintenance?

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
Dropping mine off in the morning to have them re-done. They are starting to show their age . I hope they come out that nice . That is quality work on yours. :goodjob

Gary M

Reaction score
el jefe said:
Great looking. Mine are just starting to show age wrinkles and cracks. What did the installer recommend for care and maintenance?

Nothing! He's probably hoping that they need re-covering next year!

You bring up a good point though as I'd be wise to treat them with something. Luckily, with the aft Bimini "out/deployed" at home, the bolsters are in the shade for at least half the day so that helps right there.

For re-sale, a prospective buyer will notice the nice bolsters as soon as he/they step aboard so that's a great improvement to make in the year or two before selling......

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The corners turned out much better than mine did and I paid the same price!! I didn't use the screws. Bolsters stay in place fine and I just pop them off in the winter and store in the house under a bed.

Greg B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Great job, I'm bringing the boat back to Fl this week and was going to bring the bolsters to the factory since I'm driving past it, but these pics have me rethinking that. They were going to send them to their canvas shop since the shop doesn't have the pattern anymore.