My Windows Leak?

Fishin' Rod

Reaction score
Obviously I need to fill in the void that the window gasket has left when it shrunk. I really don't want to use silicone. Does anyone have any suggestions?
P5250580.JPG

seasick

Reaction score
Does that window open?
If not, the simplest solution IS black silicone. If it opens and you want it to continue to do so, here is a trick. With the window open, tape plastic wrap over the edge of the glass window. Fill in the voids with black silicone (available at automotive stores) and close the window. That should squeeze the silicone and make a good seal. Remove the overflow with your finger and let the whole thing dry for a day or so ( with the plastic, the silicone will dry very slowly, you may need a few days depending on temp and humidity). When dry, remove the tape on the plastic and open the window.
You should be able to peel off the plastic wrap and have a decent new gasket.
When all is dry, you can trim the silicone with a razor blade if there still is overflow. or squeezeout.
Hope this works out for you.

Fishin' Rod

Reaction score
No, the window does not open. i am afraid to remove the glass beings it is 21 years old. My worry would be that I will break it. At this point I am not sure how the molding or gasket works. Can I use the automotive silicone to just fill in the hole and next year with more time I can repair the window?

seasick

Reaction score
Yes, you can use any silicone. I picked the auto stuff because it is easy to find in black. If you can find GE Bath silicone in a color that works for you, it is preferred since it has a mildicide in it. You can always get GE bath silicone in clear at any home improvement store.
Use some masking tape to tape off the places when you dont want the silicone to get on. Wipe the place where you want it to stick with a rag and some alcahol to clean the surface. Apply the silicone, wait 5 minutes and carefully remove the tape to create clean lines. If you need to smooth out the caulk, wet your finger with alcahol. It should work out well.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Leaking windows

Don't take the glass out! I did one of my windows that way and it as a PITA to re-install.

Remove the black rubber trim. Clean out the dirt and any easy to remove caulk. Wipe with laquer thinner or acetone. Re-caulk with black 5200 or silicone. Put the black rubber trim back in while the caulk is still wet.