Myrtle Beach-Georgetown Area

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I need some help from you guys. I am a Florida boy through and through and while I have fished out of Charleston a couple of times and my brother use to live in Wilmington a decade and half ago, I am not familiar with fishing off the grand strand as it were.

So, I am going there at the end of the month and I suspect fishing is slow being the summer. I suspect we could get some kings or spanish off the beaches out to 5 to 10 miles.

How far off does one need to go to get a lucky dolphin or two?

We are staying south of Myrtle Beach and if I want to go outside and fish in the deep blue sea, do I head out of Merels ( I dont know the spelling off hand) Inlet near Georgetown or do I head north and head out of the Cape Fear River area?

Any and all advice is welcome

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I don't fish, so I know nothing about it, but I do know that the ICW is way inland from Myrtle Beach and the closest entrances North or South to the Atlantic is pretty far away.
Murrell's Inlet is a closed bay, but I think there is a launch ramp and trailer parking,( I haven't been there since 1980) so I'm not sure. Murrell's would certainly be the closest ocean access to Myrtle Beach for you.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I live in Palweys Island and keep my boat in Georgetown. There are two launch areas in Georgetown with several marinas for fuel and an overnight docking if you wish. The launch areas have lots of free parking. There is also a public dock in G-town that you can use if you want to walk around or get a meal. They are all very accommodating. The ramps have both been updated and can handle the largest of trailed boats. Georgetown is located on Winyah Bay which is where the Waccamaw River ends. This is all part of the ICW. You pick up the ICW again about 10 miles south of G-town on the right. You can also go north on the Waccamaw River which is also the ICW. You can put in at several places for fuel and meal. A popular spot is Barefoot Landing in Myrtle Beach. Murrells Inlet has a public launch are but parking is limited. It is a VERY busy place because of the jet skis, pontoon rentals and boat rentals....lots of folks not knowing what they are doing. Locals don't fish there much during tourist season. I like to fish at the end of Winyah bay where it goes into the ocean. There are rock jetties here where fishing is pretty good. There are several artificial reefs in the ocean not too far out. I have not been to them but they are popular with fisherman. I would suggest a stop at Pawleys Island Outdoors which is right on US 17 next to the Hess Station. They are very knowledgeable about offshore fishing and will show you the spots on a chart. You can copy the coordinates and set your GPS. Bait is readily available in several places. The Cape Fear River is a long way from the Grand Strand.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Thanks Guys. Dave maybe we could meet in person when I am over your way in a few weeks.

A-Salt-Weapon

Reaction score
Contact Jeremy at Atlantic Game and Tackle. They are a little south in Mt. Pleasant but super knowledgable and always willing to help. (843) 881-6900

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Thanks. I am going to take the boat over to Washington, NC this week for my kids high adventure scout camp. When I get back I will be contacting you guys via a PM to get some local knowledge of the area.