Mystery Leak in Teak Closet inside Cabin - 2012 Freedom

agoltz

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Trying to troubleshoot something...... Maybe this has happened to someone here and they can provide advice.

About 6 months ago I was cleaning out the Cedar Lined storage closet in the cabin of our 2012 Freedom, and it was soaked (wet floor and wet cedar wood). I took everything out and let it dry, it kept happening.

The picture I took today is what it looks like now, its dry to the touch but you can see the water damage to the teak.

I think its either the boat washing or the black water pump out thats causing this but not sure which as the water is on the outside. I have attached pictures of the closed and the area where there could be water entry ABOVE the closet (the cup holders and the radio area). Other than that its a complete mystery.

The boat was washed two days ago and I dont see water, I did not do a pump out this time.

(It could also be the door seal? would not make sense but it has partially peeled - the closet is to the left of the door where you see the piece of a white basket)

For now I have a dehumidifier in there until I figure out what is wrong.
IMG_7328.jpeg
Thank you in advance!

Alex
IMG_8197.jpegIMG_8195.jpeg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The door/cupholder area should be pretty easy to verify by using a hose with someone on the inside. But, you need to check to see if this is, indeed, happening after you wash the boat... or is it after a rain... or is it after running the boat? Possible leak sources are a portlight and the rubrail (underneath, where the two halves of the boat come together). In the latter case, it could be leaking (not sealed well) anywhere from that area and forward.

Removing the cedar would be helpful. Water leaks are tough because they can enter in one spot, yet drip in another.

I think if it was black water, you would notice a smell.

It appears the water is soaking UP the cedar - so outside/inside of the cedar doesn't really matter. But I think if you can remove the cedar, that's going to make things much easier - along with the flooring. UNLESS you can first 100% verify using the hose trick.

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Did this get resolved?
when I took delivery of my 335 the closet was swimming in water. Turned out also the lockers under the seats were half full.
the boat had been cleaned and they obviously used hose water in the cabin and forgot to check the closet and under seat storage when mopping the cabin out.
I keep boat in indoor rack storage so have not experienced any more water after washing it etc,
Also on black water I have not found a carbon filter on vent line but for the pump out to leak it would be smelly and dirty.
h