Mystery pump ?

dadsgirl

Reaction score
We bought our 1988 Seafarer used a few years ago from a less than careful owner , and we are still trying to restore her. Inside the storage compartment on the starboard side it looks like there used to be a pump mounted. The only thing left there is the pump bracket, a hose, and a couple of wires. Any idea what the pump was for ?

dan313

Reaction score
Maybe the bracket is for a fresh water pump. On my 01 228 there is a fresh water pump on the port side under the seat.

Hope this helps.

Lenny

kendcc

Reaction score
I have an '05 226 and I know that in my cabin, in the starboard storage there's the hydraulic pump for my trim tabs. Does your boat still have functional trim tabs?

seasick

Reaction score
The hose size should tell you if the pump was for hydrolic or water. The hydrolic lines will be smaller diameter. water will be medium, sanitary will be larger (probably not sanitary). If there is only one hose, whatever the pump operated has probably been removed or the second hose is burried somewhere.
If the wires are there. see if one is live and trace back to fuse block. The fuse or breaker may be marked. If the wire isn't hot, see if there are closed breakers or empty fuse positions and try turning the breakers on looking for juice at the wires or put in a small fuse into the open positions.
let us know what you find

uncljohn

Reaction score
I have an 88 Seafarer and if you're talking about the fish boxes that the seats are mounted to, its probably an added on live-well pump. Mine doesn't have any pumps in that compartment.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Does it look post production? It sounds like he set up a washdown pump or a livewell pump. If it was production, the pump would be below deck with a plumbed in & out port and the wires would DEFINITELY not be exposed. If I'm not mistaken, that's an insulated fish box (should hold ice all day, just let the water drain), although I use mine as a storage box also.

Dan B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You said there is a hose with the wires and bracket. Where does the hose go?

dadsgirl

Reaction score
I'm thinking the pump should have been for fresh water faucet located port side. I'll check wires against my owners manual. I don't think this was added later. Thanks for the input.
Dadsgirl
Indian River, DE

uncljohn

Reaction score
I have that faucet on the gunwale and I could swear the pump was down in the bilge w/ the water tank, buts its been 5 years since I removed all that. If you have the single 95 gal fuel tank, then the water tank for the faucet was in the aft centerline compartment behind the fuel tank. Don't know why someone would plumb a pump from the rear water tank to the forward fish box then back to the middle of the gunwale.

kendcc

Reaction score
if the layout (wiring and plumbing) for the 88 Seafarer is similar or even the same as the 05, then the pump for the fresh water shower (cockpit shower) and the faucet is under the Port side seat.

Again, if similar or the same, and IF this mystery pump is in the cabin, Starboard storage, then my money is on the trim tabs.

Couple of simple questions though.... If your fresh water faucet still works, there's another pump serving it yes? Also, do you have functional trim tabs or no?

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
You'll know if they are hydraulic just by looking at them. They should be high pressure hoses. The trim pump is in the cuddy. The hoses should run concealed the length of the boat. If it's a water hose, it's probably not your tab hose.