Mystery switches

Deep Blue

Reaction score
Going through my Sailfish and making things new, on my list is the switch panel at the helm. There are two rows of 7 rocker switches and on several the picture has worn off. As the Sailfish had 12 switches standard, it indicates the purchasing owner went for the options. Here's what I've identified so far:

Row 1-1 NAV/Anchor Lights
Row 1-2 Cockpit Lights
Row 1-3 Unknown
Row 1-4 Unknown
Row 1-5 Unknown
Row 1-6 Unknown
Row 1-7 Unknown
Row 2-1 Horn
Row 2-2 Windshield Wipers
Row 2-3 Fwd Bilge
Row 2-4 Aft Bilge
Row 2-5 Cabin Water
Row 2-6 Washdown Pump
Row 2-7 Livewell Pump

For the unknown switches, I know one is the Main/Aux Fuel level and another might be the waste tank dump.

Anyone have any ideas what the switches could be? Thanks!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Well, the first thing is compare what other items you have on your boat that are not already covered. Next could be to turn the switches on/off and see what happens. Another idea is to pull the panel and check that, for one, there are actually wires hooked up to those switches. If there are, compare the wire colors to the electrical diagram in your manual.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Download the owner's manual from GW for your year/model boat. There should/may be a switch lineup that will give you an idea. Sometimes they will leave one marked AC empty for future use. Also, a PO may have made some "Upgrades". Those are sometime fun to figure out...

Deep Blue

Reaction score
DennisG01, Journeyman,
I've done both, the switches match up with the standard ones and I did check behind the access plate, they have wires.

Since I'm new to the boat I'm not sure what might be a switched option! But yes, it's fun to figure out.

Thank you both.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My switches - originally
Navigation/Anchor
Horn
Fresh Water
Cockpit lights
Live Well
Washdown
Forward Bilge
Aft Bilge
Fuel Main/Secondary
Windshield Wiper
Accessory
Accessory

I have since used the accessories for macerator and secondary GPS/Sonar = the complete set of Actuator covers are available on eBay for 97 bucks.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you need the original position of each cover I can send to you on Friday when I am at the boat.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Deep Blue said:
DennisG01, Journeyman,
I've done both, the switches match up with the standard ones

But... in your first post you stated the switches were NOT standard? If they are standard, isn't there a list in the manual? But if you have wires, have you looked at the electrical diagram? Even my '82 had very good diagrams and I was easily able to figure out the color coding.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Another tip - 3 of the switches have dual purpose - Navigation one way and anchor the other way, Windshield Wipers - one blade or two blade, fuel - main and auxiliary - that should help with isolating 3 of them.

Deep Blue

Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
Deep Blue said:
DennisG01, Journeyman,
I've done both, the switches match up with the standard ones

But... in your first post you stated the switches were NOT standard? If they are standard, isn't there a list in the manual? But if you have wires, have you looked at the electrical diagram? Even my '82 had very good diagrams and I was easily able to figure out the color coding.

Dennis,
what I meant is - the 282 Sailfish comes with 12 switches in the standard configuration; if the buyer chooses the option package then the switch panel is upgraded to the 14 switch configuration, that's what I have.

There is a list in the manual and I'll follow your suggestion to trace the electrical diagrams.

Thanks.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Ah, I understand now, Henry. Thanks for the clarification. I take there is no diagram in the manual for the optional switch panel? You could also try contacting Grady - they may be able to tell you. I'm kinda curious, myself.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I just checked my Sailfish panel and I have 14 switched. Originally 10 were utilized from the factory and there were 4 accessories. Out of the original 10 the one you are missing is the fuel. The other 4 you will have to figure out of they were utilized by the previous owner. Good luck

Fishtales

Reaction score
Here are the (11) stock ones:
Livewell
Aft Bilge
Fwd Bilge
Wiper
Fuel Main/Aux
Water Pressure
Washdown
Nav/Anchor
Cockpit Lights
Accessory (could have multiple)
Horn

These may have been switched in the past. Now hard wired and powered when the breaker is turned on.
Water Pressure
Blower
DC Main
AC (has it's own on/off panel)
TV
Refrigerator
Hotwater heater