NADA Pricing and real life??

IwanaBrich

Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea why there is such a difference in pricing between what NADA says is average retail and what people are asking?

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Boats can vary widely in options, rigging, engines, etc. Most folks don't even bother with NADA. The best measure of the value is comparing what similar models are selling for on BoatTrader and Yachtworlds. You can also check dealer prices for preowned boats on most websites.

IwanaBrich

Reaction score
I agree most folks don't bother with Nada until they try and trade in their old boat. At least on cars Nada is somewhat close, for boats they are off be a factor 2 or more. For instance I looked up a 1988 GW Offshore with a bracket I added every feature I could possibly add and it says the average retail is only $9,230. Well I looked up every Offshore listed between 1983 and 1989 and the prices raged anywhere from $15,900 to $29,000. Granted some of these boats had newer engines, but most had the original. Just crazy!

I'm interested in 1988 GW 242G with a 1988 200hp Yamaha and no trailer and the seller (broker) wants $18,900 and 5K for a trailer. That just seems way too high when compared to some other boats. For instance I'm also interested in a 2001 23' KeyWest WA for $18K, 2004 22' Proline WA for 18,900 and a 2007 Aquasport 225 Explorer for $17,000. I'm trying to figure out why the Aquasport is so cheap and if the Grady's are worth the extra price?

IwanaBrich

Reaction score
I actually saw that ad and it looks good....except I think the engine is way too heavy for the boat. That boat was designed with a 2 cycle engine in mind that weighed about 400-450 Lbs and the new Yamaha weighs about 575 to 600 lbs. I spoke to the folks at Grady White about using the new 4 Cycle engines on their older boats and they were concerned that the added weigh would cause the boat to sit too low in the water. Having said that, I know that a lot of people use the new 4 cycles on older Grady's and they don't seem to have any issues. I would rather stay with a boat that has an engine that is more in-line weight-wise as the original.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Take a trip to Maryland and have the marina put the boat in the water and have a look for yourself. As far as that first deal, I wouldn't touch a 22 year old 2 stroke with a ten foot pole and 5 G's for a trailer? Maybe if it's a new top of the line.. Weight of the motor is a concern but the only way to find out is to check it out for yourself or find some one on the forum that has that boat with that motor. Besides, that Wye River area of the eastern shore of Maryland is drop dead beautiful and you will enjoy the trip!