Name placement

oppiefive

Reaction score
Just got my 283 Release and would like to get the boards opinion about name placement. I notice that alot of Gradys have their name on the side. I am not thrilled how that looks. Any other ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Peter

Pez Vela

Reaction score
Unobtrusive hullside placement won't provide any thrills, but a minimalist approach helps. Photo in PM.

Motivator

Reaction score
Boat name and hailing port are on the transom of my 282. Boat is documented and in all the stops done by the USCG they have yet to comment on it even though the motors do a good job of covering them up.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have my documented name on the side and hailiong port on the stern - not sure if it is legal this way but never an issue when I have been stopped for a safetuy check

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Legend said:
I have my documented name on the side and hailiong port on the stern - not sure if it is legal this way but never an issue when I have been stopped for a safetuy check

That is the "legal" way for NY for that matter. I have mine the same way.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We don't have a legal way to sign our boats here; but my personal opinion is.........I much prefer the name and port on the stern. However the 265 has minimal room at the stern and it would have looked cramped; so we went for the forward cabin. If neither of these is possible then i would opt for cabin sides. Just don't like names on the hull sides. Messes up the design of that beautiful shearline.

LeapFrog

Reaction score
If the boat is "documented" via the Coast Guard, typically 30' and larger, then there are laws for how and where to display the boat's documented name and port. This is done instead of or in addition to registering with your local state. I was thinking about going through this when I bought mine last month, but opted not to for now...

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
I like to yell it out myself. :lol:

j7atqh.jpg

lgusto

Reaction score

tp13

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out same thing, only for a gulfstream. Any ideas on name placement on gulfstream with twin engines? I was trying to stay off the sides of the hull, but I'm not sure I have other options.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
In Massachusetts a documented boat does not carry registration numbers. The coast documented name and hailing port serve as the way to identify the vessel. Additionally there is a requirement of installing permanent documentaiton number on the hull. Sounds complicated but it is really isn't. Most CG boarding I have had they are primarily interested in your paper work.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Check out the gallery for some ideas. It is mostly on the transom if you have enough room or on the sides (aft near transom or forward toward the helm).

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My boat came named - after 20 years, I think I'll leave it.

Attachments

• BowdoinII.jpg
    BowdoinII.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 716

eppem

Reaction score
I'd say to each his own and (of course within the bounds of local laws/requirements) there is really no right or wrong spot, it depends on what you as the owner do, like and are comfortable with.

I have a 265 Express, growing up, the names always went on the transom with the hailing port below.

Certainly doable but not exactly readable with 2 ponies hanging off my stern? So, we hemmed and hawed and opted for 8 inch bolded letters, Arial with a forward slant (boat name is EPPE), that we placed on each side of boat, aft, near where it says Grady White - clean, subtle and looks good. Best part is with the vinyl lettershops producing the stuff, its easy as heck to design, order and install yourself. We put ours on in 2007 and is just about beat up enough from (fishing, docking, etc) that its time to replace. I will see if I can find a photo in my pc when I get to work. I live in CT and fish in the LIS mostly. Being a small state, hailing port not as much as important to me but the boat in registered and does have CT in the #s up on the bow.

I think if you have a large name, with a big decal (which I think looks cool on the right boat with the right artwork), then you go mid ship.

eppem

Reaction score
Not sure if this will work or not, I dont know how to shrink the image, should be a photo of our boat/name/hull placement.

Attachments

• MIKE_&_NEIL.jpg
    MIKE_&_NEIL.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 695