National Boat Owners Association Towing Services: Read This

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As an organization, NBOA has been good with insurance. And on the surface, their towing services seemed reasonably priced as it is included in the membership package, until you have to use them. I have no ax to grind with NBOA, but the company they have as their contracted towing service leaves alot to be desired. In the area where I do my fishing, I can tell you of two instances in which the insureds did not get any towing benefits. I fish in the Chesapeake Bay and Tangier Sound off. The first incident was one in which I ran aground in the dark. The next day I called NBOA, and a towing service called a approx 1/2 hour later. I gave the Sea-Tow captain the scenario, and all I got was excuses about why he couldn't come. Not an issue of coming later, but he wouldn't come at all. Wouldn't even look at the job. Told me I had to call a salvage company. How did I get the boat off the sand? A friend of mine got her son (with twin 250's) to pull it off. It took longer to get to the boat than it did to pull it off the sand. For the record, the Sea-Tow captain was located on the mainland of Maryland, said it would have taken him an hour to get there if decided to come. The second incident involved another fisherman. I came out of a creek, and there he was sitting in the mouth of the creek, anchored up. I asked how he was doing in that spot, and he said he was broken down waiting for the tow boat for the last two hours, and they still hadn't called him back to say when they would be on the way. Remembering my involvement with Sea-Tow, I asked if he had them as well. He said, "How'd you know?" I just told him it was a long story, and I proceeded to tow him in myself. From what it sounded like, same Sea-Tow captain I had dealt with. My father's words came back about the "sweetness of the low price disappearing.......". You know the rest. Obviously not every Sea-Tow captain is like the guy in this area, but if you're in the Smith Island / Tangier Sound area, forget it. Just hope you bring enough food, water, and toilet paper. Several years ago, when I was with BoatUS, I ran out of oil one night at Jane's Island Light and my engine shut down. It was after dark, and she was blowing 15 knots, with weather forecasts calling for increasing winds throughout the night. I made my radio call, BoatUS was monitoring Channel 16, and the BoatUS guys were there in about an hour and a half, coming all the way up the Chesapeake Bay from Onancock, Va. No excuses, they just got the job done. If I could remember the name of that excellent BoatU.S. tow operator, I would mention him. Next year it will not be business as usual, that's for sure

GulfSea

Reaction score
Re: National Boat Owners Association Towing Services: Read

There was an extensive post on this on another site about a similar experience with a Sea Tow Operation; I don't recall if it was in the same area or not. The very best option is to literally go to the towing service office and meet the people that are in charge of towing no matter which company it is. I did that a few times. Each time, there was a person at a desk monitoring the VHF for any calls. From my experience and everything I've read/heard, the Sea Tow Operation here is top notch. So it really depends on the local office.

I run a single engine offshore as far as 40 miles out. So I want to make 100% sure my buddy boat (towing service) is going to be there should the need arise. I know this post is about NBOA but the core is about the actual service providing the tow. Personally, this is one area where a discount doesn't mean so much to me.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: National Boat Owners Association Towing Services: Read

Well, I thought I specified that the problem was in the area where I go fishing, not a nationwide problem. Sorry for the miscommunication. Yes, it is the responsibility of the owner of the contracted boat in that area to get up from the TV, put on his hat, and start his engine. I hope you didn't think I was implying that all operators are like this.