Navigating Oregon Inlet in North Carolina

fshnfool

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just got back from a family vacation to the Outerbanks. Didn't take the boat :( but did get on a charter for some fishing :D . This was my first time out of Oregon Inlet. I was amazed at how rough the entrance to the inlet was. I was curious to know what people, that regular use that inlet, think is minimum size of boat you need to navigate out of there. I was on a 25 footer and it felt real small.

Seahunter

Reaction score
Depends on the conditions. I've run out of there with a 20' and have been turned back to wait for a tide change on a 30'er

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Oregon Inlet

The inlet has a shallow bar that you need to cross that is pretty far out from the bridge. If you have any Easterly swell, even on a nice day, it can be dangerous. With an outgoing tide, which seems to be most of the time, its worse. Even light winds in the sound push water and some days the tide never turns.

We smushed the top off a 10' wave in a 42' Egg and fell out of the back of it! It's not boat size its a condition thing.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've heard a lot of nasty stuff about that inlet. Before attempting it, find out it's habits and be a passenger a few times.

pablor

Reaction score
if its breaking all the way across, turn around!

jaydub

Reaction score
pablor said:
If you see pablor with his trip 360 turning around, don't go out! I've been down there surf fishing that inlet for many, many years and have seen some crazy stuff especially when the stripers are running. Little 18 footers running back and forth between the breakers-man its not worth it. I still remember being there fishing in the 80's when a 24 ft Grady flipped in the inlet like it was nothing. Luckily the guys made it out safely.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you do go, kiss up behind a bigger boat and let them flatten it out for you, plus they know the location of the bars that you will not find on any map, they shift a lot. As stated, it is more of a condition thing not a size thing. I've fished out of there maybe 40 times and on some days everyone can get out and on others you get beat up on a 50 ft boat.

Dave S

Reaction score
pablor said:

What he said.. I live and work here. Nice boat by the way I checked out your 36 express 2 weeks ago. Nice tower.