Navigation light problem

dale1

Reaction score
2002 265 express.

quick question. the roof light "or anchor light" only works with the rocker switch in the lower position. "sorry my lables are worn out"

The roof light does "not" come on when the switch is in the foward or nav position. Both starbord and port lights on the bow work.

what the heck, or where should i troubleshoot first. ?

thanks
dale

River Rat

Reaction score
There should be two bulbs in the mast light....one front and one back. Both bulbs should light whether in anchor or navigation mode. Sounds like the forward bulb has corroded at the contact or needs replacing.

As I re- read this, it sounds like a loose contact between the switch and the light. When you switch to anchor mode, does the light lite 360 degrees. When you switch to nav mode, does the light lite at all, or possibly just at the back.

Good luck

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If it lights in anchor mode but not in nav mode, and the nav lights work when the switch is flipped in the opposite direction, check the connections on the back of the switch. There is a jumper wire between two terminals on the back....one of the connections is loose.

grady23

Reaction score
I'm reasonably sure that the lights on the top should work as follows:
Nav lights on -- the rear white light and forward red/green nav lights.
Anchor position -- both the forward and rear facing white lights "ON".
Red/green navigation lights indicate a moving vessel --- Not one at anchor.
I could be wrong --- I was wrong once already this year!!!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I vote switch as well. The nav lights - port and starboard are wired together. The mast light is wired separate from them. Since you have power to the mast light in the anchor position it tells me no bulb or bulbs are blown and it says you have energy going from the switch to the light. In the nav position you are dark only at the mast...so it is likely the jumper on the back. If red and green were dark too then I would suggest it was the switch itself, but they are not.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
grady23 said:
I'm reasonably sure that the lights on the top should work as follows:
Nav lights on -- the rear white light and forward red/green nav lights.
Anchor position -- both the forward and rear facing white lights "ON".
Red/green navigation lights indicate a moving vessel --- Not one at anchor.
I could be wrong --- I was wrong once already this year!!!

Then this is twice for the year.

On vessels of the size we own, the all-around, 32-point white is illuminated during the hours of darkness or low visibility whether underway or anchored. If underway, the 10-point side lights (i.e. the red and green) are also illuminated.

Brian
Master, Oceans, Steam, Motor, or Sail, 1600-tons
Chief Mate, Oceans, Unlimited