Navionics and Lowrance HDS ?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Does the Navionics SD card stay in the HDS slot all the time or just for the initial map loading? I am trying to figure out if I have a GPS issue as I don't see a difference in the maps with or without the card in place and Navionics charts selected via the menu.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It defaults to the built-in chart when you remove the chip.

You need to select the correct overlay in order to display many of the Navionics features. You also need an active subscription these days in order to get all of the functions.

Reactions: Legend

seasick

Reaction score
Does the Navionics SD card stay in the HDS slot all the time or just for the initial map loading? I am trying to figure out if I have a GPS issue as I don't see a difference in the maps with or without the card in place and Navionics charts selected via the menu.

The newer chips are microSD and come with a carrier to fit into SD slots. If you have a SD slot, make sure you have either a SD Navionics card or the carrier with the microSD chip installed.
Is your Navionics chip a genuine one:) Did it ever work?

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Chip stays in the unit. If you don't select Navionics for your maps then you won't see a difference.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks Doc, that’s what I thought, I have an older card and when I select Navionics it is the same map. My guess is a card failure.
The newer chips are microSD and come with a carrier to fit into SD slots. If you have a SD slot, make sure you have either a SD Navionics card or the carrier with the microSD chip installed. and not the unit
Is your Navionics chip a genuine one:) Did it ever work?
The chip is original (didn't realize there were non originals out there :) ) and it is probably 7-8 years old and had been working up until this year. When I checked the unit I noticed Lowrance maps were selected. When I select Navionics I just got a very plain map with no shading, depths or details. I doubled checked
all the overlays and they are all in order. Hoping it is the card and not the unit. I did do an upgrade of the Lowrance software after I noticed the problem and the update went smoothly so I know the card reader in the unit is working. Off to Bass Pro for a new card
today

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
I did some research and found a few references to your issue. There seems to be or have been problems with HDS reading some Navionics chips, the 2010 version year in particular. Apparently Lowrance has issued some firmware and software updates to address the issue. You will need to go to the Lowrance web site and find the software update section, load the and install the software.

Some folks were able to get their HDS to recognize the chip by removing and re-inserting it several times but that fix didn't always last after shutting off the unit.
Do the updates and then if that doesn't fix it, contact Lowrance support for guidance.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I did some research and found a few references to your issue. There seems to be or have been problems with HDS reading some Navionics chips, the 2010 version year in particular. Apparently Lowrance has issued some firmware and software updates to address the issue. You will need to go to the Lowrance web site and find the software update section, load the and install the software.

Some folks were able to get their HDS to recognize the chip by removing and re-inserting it several times but that fix didn't always last after shutting off the unit.
Do the updates and then if that doesn't fix it, contact Lowrance support for guidance.
Thanks for tip, I think I applied the patch for that issue yesterday and still no luck . I have a message into Lowrance technical support but have not heard from back from them. Appreciate the help!

root

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
One more thing that was an issue with HDS unit's if you have two slots and older software versions, it needed to be the right hand slot (I think definitely one of the two) Now in my Carbon with the latest firmware it doesn't seem to matter which slot its in now. But you do need to select which map you want to use if you have more than one and with a navionics chip you need an active subscriptions for many of the features and updates. If you have old card and want a new one you can get it at a discount based on your old card on their website. Which HDS do you have and which software version? I'm on a Carbon with software 19.1 .

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
One more thing that was an issue with HDS unit's if you have two slots and older software versions, it needed to be the right hand slot (I think definitely one of the two) Now in my Carbon with the latest firmware it doesn't seem to matter which slot its in now. But you do need to select which map you want to use if you have more than one and with a navionics chip you need an active subscriptions for many of the features and updates. If you have old card and want a new one you can get it at a discount based on your old card on their website. Which HDS do you have and which software version? I'm on a Carbon with software 19.1 .

Interesting. I need to see about the subscription thing as I'm running 2 Carbon's and I've seen the popup about a subscription to access certain features. Thanks.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Mystery solved, ended up purchasing new Naionics card and the new maps installed immediately. The old card was somehow corrupted or just worn out. Also got a $50 rebate for turning the old card in. Thanks for all the suggestions

root

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Great glad to hear it. That’s what it sounded like. You didn’t have a valid subscription for some reason.