NE Weather Has Not Been Cooperating

Fishtales

Reaction score
I need to make the final adjustments on the front pieces of my new enclosure and then decide where to place the 20 or so final snaps to finish the job. The aft corner pieces are the key issue. Need to get a couple of male snaps on the fiberglass to align on the right spot on the canvas before I install the female ends. Was hoping we'd get a warm day to help, but its been raining and general very cool for the last month. It is a PIA working with the shrink still on.

I've got the pieces over the windshield and large pieces on the sides installed. They look super. Just need to adjust in the tracks to allow the aft corner pieces to align perfectly. Then do the same on the 3 aft pieces.
My plan is to adjust the front and sides and then ensure the aft corner pieces are where I want them to be. Then do the 3 aft next. Will need some help to get them taught. Finally adjust the last 2 corner pieces a If anyone has advice I'm all ears.

SCW

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
record number of days with precipitation in April and first few days of May.. Getting old

JAdams1

Reaction score
Today wasn't bad. Got a bunch of stuff done today. Doing my bottom paint this Monday and Tuesday coming up.

Last edited:

Bumpye

Reaction score
THIS SUCKS!! Pressure washed yesterday. Waiting to wax and polish. Today is out-RAIN! Hoping Thursday, not working, and splash Sunday. All interior work finishing today.

Newport Grady

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Wax and polish wearing a sweater in March. I’ve been in in Newport for 3 weeks.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Weather channel has rain every day except 2 through May 19. Highest temperature is 62 but on a rainy day. Only positive note is that they are rarel accurate on 15 day forecasts.

Fishtales

Reaction score
That is not the news I was looking for!

Bumpye

Reaction score
Thank goodness the weather guys (and gals) were wrong. The rain stayed south of me so I got half the hull waxed/polished. Looks GREAT. Still hope to finish Thurs.
IMG_0077.JPG

Reactions: Willy-C

Fishtales

Reaction score
saw something rare these days - da sun (not on a weekend though)...

Bumpye

Reaction score
What method and polish did you use? Looks great!
I used Collinite cleaner on the areas that were dirty or streaked. I then used Collinite Fleetwax with a Shurhold random orbit. This was my first year using the Shurhold. Previously I used a Porter Cable RO but they only have two attachments. A sanding disc and a foam buffer. I had to put the wax on by hand, buff it off with the foam which caked up quickly then became useless. Because of the mounting system (female thread versus male thread), you can't buy a wool pad that attaches. Bought the bullet and purchased the Shurhold. Love it. I used their foam applicator pad to put the wax on, and their wool buffing pad to take it off. Both attach to the plate by Velcro.

Reactions: JAdams1

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Weather cooperated yesterday and got the boat cleaned and waxed. Touched up the bottom paint and splashed the boat yesterday.

Fishtales

Reaction score
yup - 2 days thus far with sun! looking up.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Rain and more rain here. Luckily, the boat is being worked on and I have stuff to do here, but yea, nothing but a lot of rain in the forecast. I just hope my aunt does not have her house underwater for the third time.
If she does, I have a boat to get her with heh!

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I used Collinite cleaner on the areas that were dirty or streaked. I then used Collinite Fleetwax with a Shurhold random orbit. This was my first year using the Shurhold. Previously I used a Porter Cable RO but they only have two attachments. A sanding disc and a foam buffer. I had to put the wax on by hand, buff it off with the foam which caked up quickly then became useless. Because of the mounting system (female thread versus male thread), you can't buy a wool pad that attaches. Bought the bullet and purchased the Shurhold. Love it. I used their foam applicator pad to put the wax on, and their wool buffing pad to take it off. Both attach to the plate by Velcro.

I just wanted to point out that you can buy a 3M "Hookit" backer disc for your Porter Cable, and that enables you to use a lot of different foam pads. I had good luck with Griots Garage foam pads.

Reactions: JAdams1

Bumpye

Reaction score
Thamks toothpick. Guess I didn't do enough research. Still love the Shurhold though. Finished waxing yesterday, splash Sunday-YAY!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Well, a super day! Got the boat washed, the hull cleaned and waxed. Everything checked out. Another day or cleaning and installing things back in and we'll be ready to get wet.